Community Organizer - paid internship
Clean Water Action is currently accepting applications for our summer 2019 internship program. Our internship provides motivated and talented individuals an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in politics, communications, and advocacy.
Interns will work alongside our full time professional outreach team to inform and activate the public about our national and state campaigns to protect clean water, fight climate change, expose the impacts of oil and gas production, find safe alternatives to toxic chemicals, and more. In 2019, our teams will be focused on holding our Congressional representatives accountable to help win victories for our water, health, and communities.
Since our founding during the campaign to pass the landmark Clean Water Act in 1972, Clean Water Action has worked to win strong health and environmental protections by bringing issue expertise, solution-oriented thinking and people power to the table. We will protect clean water in the face of attacks from a polluter friendly Administration and Congress.
- Promote action on progressive issues to influence national, state, and local decision makers.
- Provide communication with people that is independent of the mass media
- Recruit members by collecting signatures and contact info.
- Raise funds to support our research, lobbying and educational campaigns
- Identify and activate individuals who wish to participate in other activities, including letter writing, attending meetings, volunteer time, turning out the vote, etc.
- Rewarding work with a casual work setting
- Paid training, gain knowledge of state and federal politics, campaign strategies, and environmental issues
- Participate in cultural competency training and be a part of a shared commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Leadership will be rewarded through rapid advancement and be considered for future employment
- Opportunities for travel throughout the U.S., including national and regional conferences
- Potential to earn college credit
- Must have strong communication skills.
- Must be committed to progressive politics and environmental issues.
- Desire for non-profit career development are a plus.
* As an equal opportunity employer, Clean Water Action is dedicated to non-discrimination in every aspect of employment. No person is to be discriminated against in employment because of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, or any other ground prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law. This equal opportunity policy applies to veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. This policy covers all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotions, terminations, pay, and the work environment.
* Clean Water Action adheres to all the principles of professional practice set forth by the National Association of Colleges and Employers. This is a paid internship. Base pay does vary slightly from one office to another, but in all locations we operate, Clean Water Action complies with all FLSA and applicable state labor requirements.
* Unfortunately, we do not provide any housing assistance. Please only apply if you have specific plans to be located near a Clean Water Action office.
We are committed to reflecting the communities we work in and POC, LGBTIQ folks, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.