Attention Journalism and Communications Students!
Are you seeking a fall internship to grow your research, reporting and writing skills? Want to learn communication best practices in a non-profit setting? Do you want to build your portfolio through real-world experience and add writing clips to your portfolio? Then listen up!
Missouri Community Action Network is hiring an Editorial Assistant for fall semester 2019. This is a paid internship position ($10-$12/hour) for 10-15 hours per week (Monday-Thursday), up to 16 weeks from late August through December. Internship is located in Jefferson City.
What you can expect from this internship:
- Learn communication best-practices in a non-profit setting.
- Write and communicate about major social issues in a non-partisan organization.
- Experience contributing to a Public Affairs and Community Engagement Team through hands-on writing experience and creative collaboration.
- Work closely with Associate Director of Strategic Communications on education and awareness of poverty-related issues through communications efforts.
- Creative collaboration and opportunity to pitch story ideas.
- Research, report, and interview sources to write stories on poverty-related issues for awareness of Community Action and poverty education to the general public.
- Editing and/or proofreading text for general grammatical correctness.
Upon completion of the internship, you will have numerous clips of published work demonstrating experience in the communications field.
Not a journalism student, but studying social work or political science AND have a penchant for writing? We’ll consider students from other majors whose area of study intersects with Missouri CAN’s work if writing samples are strong.
We are looking for:
- Tenacity for learning
- Desire to grow as a writer
- Strong Knowledge of grammar and spelling
- Good vocabulary
- Writing experience
- Students entering junior year or higher (sophomore students with strong research and writing skills invited to apply)
This is what we do at Missouri Community Action Network:
Missouri Community Action Network, aka Missouri CAN, is the state association of Missouri’s 19 Community Action Agencies, plus Allies and Supporters from across the state united to end poverty. We are the statewide voice for Community Action and for Missourians struggling with poverty. As a Network, we help people achieve stability in five key areas, which we call the elements of poverty: economic and family security, education, food and nutrition, health, and housing and energy. Our role as the state association is to provide assistance to our agencies, engage in advocacy efforts, and educate the general public on poverty-related issues. Read more at www.communityaction.org.
Do you see yourself in the above description? Do you have an interest in our work?
Is this an internship experience you’d like to have?
Apply today! Here’s how:
Download and complete the application at www.communityaction.org/our-team. Email your completed application to Sarah Hackman, Associate Director of Strategic Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following items:
- Cover letter
- Your Resume
- 3-5 Writing Samples
- Completed employment application
***Please include the following as your email subject***
MCAN F2019 Internship Application – [YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME]
Applications will be accepted through August until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applications received by July 31, 2019. Editing test may be required.