Environmental Geologist/Engineer - Entry Level
Description of Company
Barr is a consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, process, and restore natural resources across North America and around the world. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s. Today, we have over 800 employees across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, fuels, public, and manufacturing sectors, as well as attorneys, developers, and others with complex problems.
Why Choose Barr?
If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment, focuses on providing exceptional client service, offers the opportunity to work on challenging projects, and makes employee safety a top priority, Barr is the place for you. In addition to a highly competitive benefits package, we offer mentor and coaching programs to help our employees develop and grow their careers, along with opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.
Barr Engineering is seeking an entry-level candidate to join its Jefferson City office in May 2020 and undertake challenging and progressive work on projects related to the evaluation and remediation of contaminated sites. Assignments may include working as an individual or as part of a project team to assist with any of the following tasks: environmental site assessments; onsite investigations of contaminated soil, sediment, groundwater, surface water, and vapor; construction observation; remedial design; preparation of drilling logs, geologic maps, cross-sections and drawings, cost estimating and technical reports. Field work opportunities for this position will be year-round and will include some out-of-town travel. All applicants should include transcripts with their application.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil, environmental or geological engineering, geology, or related field
- Minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with project team members, regulators, and clients
- Strong technical and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and completeness
- Strong computer skills, including word processing and use of spreadsheets
- A flexible working style and the ability to work independently and with teams of specialists to meet client and project needs
- Willingness to travel and periodically adjust personal schedules to meet project needs (up to 20-40% travel and 30-50% field work expected; project needs will vary seasonally and over time)
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- Acceptable driving record
- Master’s degree in geological engineering, geology, or related field
- Successful completion of a field or research course
- Coursework related to groundwater flow
- Coursework related to statistics
- 1-3 years of experience related to environmental work
- Familiarity with environmental regulations
NOTE: Some work locations may feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and may also require entering and working within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities. Job assignments may involve work on waste disposal sites and sites requiring cleanup of hazardous materials. An OSHA mandated physical exam may be required. Safety training will be provided. Applicants may be asked to participate in a drug screening program at the request of specific clients.
Barr Engineering Co. reserves the right to consider other legitimate, non-discriminatory factors that are not specifically listed.
We require proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Barr strives to make www.barr.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance with completing the application process, please call 952-832-2600, or toll free at 800-632-2277.
Barr is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other lawfully protected status.