2020 Summer Professional Tournament Operations Internship
Internship Description & Responsibilities
The Northern Texas PGA annually conducts competitive championships for PGA Members and Associates as well as the Texas State Open, the Texas Women’s Open and PGA TOUR qualifying events. The Northern Texas PGA is seeking qualified applicants for a 13-week internship position in golf tournament operations. Successful applicants will be responsible for helping to prepare for and conduct championships including, but not limited to:
- Pre-tournament responsibilities such as golf course marking, tee and hole location selection, equipment set-up and developing operational plans
- On-site tournament responsibilities such as registration, live scoring, rules officiating and volunteer management
- Effectively communicate with PGA professionals and host professional staff
- Manage company equipment inventory and maintenance
- Provide in-office support of the professional tournament program
- Enjoy working with people, including occasionally working with children and young adults ages 7-19
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organized, detail oriented, punctual, energetic and a self-starter
- Innovative and creative
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in a team based environment
- Basic knowledge of the game of golf a plus
- College degree (or working towards a degree) required
- Automobile access with willingness and ability to travel within the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex required
- Interest in a career in golf or sports is preferred
- Must have existing insurance through school or parents
You will also be working in a team-based environment, so the ability to work in a team atmosphere and effectively communicate with all other interns and full-time staff members is critical.
The Summer Section Tournament Operations interns will be responsible for helping to conduct approximately 10 professional golf events and assist at All American Tour tournaments, the NTPGA Junior Tour's highest level of competition, throughout the summer. The Summer Section Tournament Operations Interns should expect to work, on average, five days a week with the exception of a few special events. The Summer Section Tournament Operations Interns will work approximately 35-40 hours each week. Working some weekends will be required. Additional tasks and hours can be added for those with special requirements for obtaining school credit.
- Interns will be compensated at $7.50 per hour (minimum wage is $7.25 per hour) (before taxes)
- Interns will be compensated at $11.25 per hour if / when they work more than more than 40 hours per week (before taxes)
- NTPGA staff uniforms including golf shirts and hats
- Playing and practicing privileges at select golf courses in the area
- School credit (if applicable)
- Approximately May 19 – August 11, 2020 (start and finish dates are somewhat flexible based on successful applicant’s school schedule)
Again, we are happy you are interested in a position with the Northern Texas PGA for the summer of 2020.
A few other things to note about the internship are:
- Work early mornings
- Work outside in extreme weather and temperatures and spend much of the day in direct exposure to the sun
- Work in an office setting
- Safely operate a golf cart
- Stand and move around on foot for extended periods of time
- Public speaking skills
- Ability to lift objects up to 50 pounds e.g. tents, tables, stakes and signage
- Effectively use and operate cell phones, hand held radios and iPads
Tournaments will be located throughout the entire Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, and extensive travel around DFW is required. Interns will be responsible for their own transportation to and from all tournaments as well as to and from the Northern Texas PGA office.
Please also note that the Northern Texas PGA does not provide housing of any kind.
About the PGA of America
The PGA of America is the largest working sports organization in the world with over 28,000 members and associates and over 400 staff members throughout the country. As “experts in the game and business of golf,” the purpose of the PGA is to promote the enjoyment of and involvement in the game of golf, and to contribute to its growth by serving millions of people throughout its 41 Sections nationwide.
About the NTPGA
The Northern Texas PGA is one of 41 Sections of the PGA of America and its geographic territory includes the State of Texas north of the 31st latitude, or just north of Austin. The Northern Texas PGA is comprised of approximately 850 PGA members and associates employed at more than 300 facilities. The Northern Texas PGA has 16 full-time staff members and is currently headquartered in Dallas. Of the 16 full-time staff members, 12 are former NTPGA interns! The Northern Texas PGA will be joining the PGA of America national office relocation to Frisco in 2022 with its own state of the art headquarters on the PGA Frisco campus. In addition to managing the day-to-day affairs of the Section, the Northern Texas PGA also operates a non-profit and charitable foundation that focuses on five pillars: junior golf, college scholarships, inclusion, fellowships and military and veterans.
The mission of the Northern Texas PGA is serving PGA members and growing the game.