Internship - Civil Engineering Focus
Description of Company
Barr is a consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, process, and restore natural resources across North America and around the world. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s. Today, we have over 800 employees across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, fuels, public, and manufacturing sectors, as well as attorneys, developers, and others with complex problems.
Why Choose Barr?
If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment, focuses on providing exceptional client service, offers the opportunity to work on challenging projects, and makes employee safety a top priority, Barr is the place for you. In addition to a highly competitive benefits package, we offer mentor and coaching programs to help our employees develop and grow their careers, along with opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.
The person selected for this position will work on project teams involving civil engineering and related technical assignments. Project assignments may include civil design and analysis, AutoCAD/Civil 3D drafting and design, field data collection, preparation of construction plans and specifications, spreadsheet preparation, and construction inspection/observation. Project responsibilities may involve project site layout and site grading design, hydrologic and hydraulic calculations, general civil design, soil and water sampling, writing reports, , construction cost estimating, construction observation, and facility inspections. The work may involve periodic out-of-town assignments. All applicants should include transcripts with their application.
- Ongoing enrollment in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or related degree program
- GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher
- At least two semesters of physics and three semesters of mathematics
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows OS and Microsoft Office software
- Strong technical and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and completeness
- A flexible working style as required to meet deadlines and/or client needs
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with project team members, and clients
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- Acceptable driving record
- Ability to perform out-of-town assignments when requested
- GPA of 3.5/4.0 or higher
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, Civil 3D, or other CADD-based civil design software
- Completion of at least one semester of upper division (junior/senior level) engineering coursework
- Familiarity with soil testing procedures and evaluation of test results
- Familiarity with hydrologic/hydraulic modeling software
NOTE: Some work locations may feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and may also require entering and working within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities. An OSHA mandated physical exam may be required. Safety training will be provided. Applicants may be asked to participate in a drug screening program at the request of specific clients.
Barr Engineering Co. reserves the right to consider other legitimate, non-discriminatory factors that are not specifically listed.
We require proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Barr strives to make www.barr.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance with completing the application process, please call 952-832-2600, or toll free at 800-632-2277.
Barr is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other lawfully protected status.