DAP is a leading manufacturer and supplier of Polyurethane, Latex, Silicone and Epoxy products for DIY and Professional Applications for insulation, sealant, adhesive, caulks, glazing, spackling, etc. You'll find DAP products in the hands of professional insulation material distributors, professional painters, remodelers, builders and do-it-yourselfers, and in 60,000 retail outlets, ranging from home centers and mass merchandisers to your local hardware and paint stores. DAP's eight manufacturing and distribution facilities in the United States of America and Canada service North America and the world. The “DAP Stars" represent its 775 strong associates around the world which support its vision to produce and market America's best home repair products. DAP has twice been voted one of “Baltimore’s Best Places to Work”! Learn more about DAP’s history, culture and benefits at www.dap.com/careers.
We are seeking an innovative and team-oriented R&D Chemist for research and development of a variety of polyurethane foam technologies including foam insulation, sealants and adhesives, both one or and two component foam systems. This position reports to the R&D Director.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Scope, design and execute new product development projects as well as product performance improvement projects;
2. Research, Formulate and Develop products including cost estimates, testing procedures, storage and shipping requirements;
3. Design, perform or supervise laboratory testing and analysis. Summarize data per industry standards and internally developed test methods;
4. Evaluate and communicate the results of lab experiments and tests for presentations and written reports;
5. Enter new raw materials and formulation data into the laboratory database systems;
6. Identify new processing procedures and equipment and conduct plant trials to qualify new technology and products;
7. Collaborate with the plant engineers/quality control managers to develop manufacturing capability and procedures for new technology/products;
8. Promote and champion laboratory safety, housekeeping, and preventive maintenance;
9. Evaluate lab equipment and vendors for purchasing lab equipment. Maintain and calibrate laboratory equipment as needed.
1. Minimum of bachelor’s degree in chemistry, Polymer Science, Materials Science, or related field and 5 or more years of research & development experience. Understanding of polymer chemistry and structure property relationships is strongly desired;
2. R&D Experience with polyurethane foam formulation, application methods and equipment are desirable. Candidates with other relevant industry experience may be considered;
4. Experience operating lab scale mixing equipment as well as lab scale analytic and test apparatus;
5. Hands on work ethic with the ability to work independently and as part of a team;
6. Must be a self-starter and self-motivated;
7. A passion for chemistry, science, problem solving, and creativity;
8. Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and presentation skills;
DAP is an equal opportunity employer.