The Microbiology Analyst is accountable for driving results in a fast-paced environment by accurately and efficiently performing sample analysis, monitoring microbial cultures and identifying microbiological contaminants and pathogens using a variety of identification methods. The position requires superior leadership behaviors of the Alcami core competencies and non-negotiables, as well as expertise in functional competencies included in this position profile.
- Maintains working knowledge of instrumentation, equipment and scientific methodologies necessary to perform assigned task.
- Performs assigned tasks carefully and on schedule according to standard operating procedure and supervisors instructions.
- Isolates and makes cultures of bacteria or other microorganisms in prescribed media, controlling moisture, aeration, temperature and nutrition.
- Performs tests on water, test articles and the environment to detect harmful microorganisms and to obtain information on types and levels of microbial contamination.
- Examines physiological, morphological and cultural characteristics, using microscope and other relevant equipment, to identify and classify microorganisms in test articles.
- Studies impact of microorganisms on products and evaluate impact of microbial control strategies on microorganism survival.
- Keeps proper documentation of work performed.
- Maintains accurate records.
- Participates in company training and maintain current status of certifications as applicable.
- Maintains a safe, clean and organized work environment free from safety hazards.
- Ensures timely completion and compliance with cGMP and all other relevant company training requirements.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree Biology, Microbiology or related field with 3-5 years related working experience.
- Consistently demonstrates honesty and integrity through personal example.
- Follows all safety policies and leads by example a safety first culture.
- Produces high quality work product with a focus on first time right.
- Complies with the company code of conduct and policies and regulatory standards.
Alcami Core Leadership Competencies
- Thinks strategically. Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities. Considers the downstream impact. Seeks to understand the why. Focuses on work that matters.
- Develops organization and others. Takes ownership to develop self and others. Seeks out new opportunities and experiences for continuous learning.
- Acts decisively. Makes and acts on decisions quickly. Makes decisions with the customer and their patients in mind. Meets commitments with a sense of urgency. Seeks ways to be more efficient.
- Drives performance. Holds self and others accountable. Delivers results first time right. Never settles for status quo. Willing to have tough conversations. Asks for feedback and takes action to improve.
- Passion for customers. Listens to understand. Asks the right questions. Gets to the heart of the matter and uses that insight to provide value.
- Works collaboratively. Seeks out the experience of others with the aim for better results. Open minded regardless where ideas originate. Flexible and easy to work with.
- Knowledge of Chemistry and Biology plus course work in Microbiology.
- Basic mathematical functions.
- Familiarity with major classes of microorganisms.
- Understanding of GMP regulations preferred.
- General computer program operations, including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Basic theory of microbiology test procedures.
- ERP project status and time entry functions.
- Applicable lab standard operating procedures.
- Able to perform routine microbiological test procedures with supervision.
- Proper documentation practices.
- Use of basic lab equipment.
- Ability to execute procedures as written.
- Able to recognize deviations from procedures and the need for investigations.
- Understanding of aseptic technique.
What We Offer You:
- Competitive salary with career advancement opportunities
- Profit sharing bonus plan
- Medical, dental and vision coverage from day one
- 401(k) with company match
- Company paid vacation, holiday and sick-leave
- Voluntary benefits including short & long term disability, life, accident, critical illness insurances