Early Childhood Lead Teacher
POSITION SUMMARY: The lead teacher is responsible for developing a classroom atmosphere where children can grow and develop in a safe and positive learning space. Candidates must have a passion for creating a safe and nurturing environment for children to receive a quality education, and the ability to lead the classroom team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: (These include but are not limited to the following. The company reserves the right to add to, delete, change or modify the essential duties and responsibilities at any time.)
- Contributes to the development of the overall agency and center educational plan
- Leads classroom teams in creating an atmosphere in which children can grow and develop; develops a classroom environment that is welcoming and emphasizes the importance of the child; includes furnishings and supplies which are attractive, durable and developmentally appropriate
- Introduces, implements and evaluates developmentally appropriate activities for young children including the following activities: Self Image, Language/Literacy Development, Music and Movement, Social Studies, Science, Math, Art, Large/Small Motor Activities, and In-Depth Projects
- Supervises and interacts with all children’s activities
- Trains staff and prepares performance evaluations with the assistance of the Site Director
- Researches, implements, and evaluates curriculum methods and classroom management strategies
- Responsible for preparing classroom materials in advance of children’s arrival and maintaining a clean classroom environment
- Assists with responsibility of ordering supplies needed for the program
- Recommends maintenance and repairs as needed
- Develops strong partnerships with the families
- Attends home visits and conducts parent-teacher conference assessment reviews
- Participates in Family Reviews and IFSP/IEP meetings
- Leads the implementation of the Reggio Emilia Philosophy, focusing on in depth studies and classroom explorations
- Responsible for maintaining reports on children’s growth and development for all students in the classroom
- Conducts weekly team meeting
- Attends and participates in parent meetings and in-service training's
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field.
TECHNICAL SKILLS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to read and write English proficiently. Candidates must regularly operate a word-processing system and therefore must be able to read, produce and transmit data on such a system
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Candidates must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and are frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Candidates must also be able to see up close or at a distance with or without corrective lenses.
COMPENSATION: An attractive and competitive compensation and benefits package will be available commensurate with qualifications and experience. Chicago Commons is an equal opportunity employer