Municipal Policy Director
Purpose of Position
The Municipal Policy Director will join the Show-Me Institute as a leader in understanding municipal policies from a free market perspective and their impact on state and local economic growth. This individual will produce high-quality research and timely analysis to improve the quality and accountability of local governments in Missouri by removing barriers to earning a living; reducing government spending, regulatory burdens, and taxes; and eliminating practices that allow local governments to pick winners and losers. A successful Director will be able to effectively and persuasively communicate at an academic and layperson level as well as in print or visual media. He or she will have the opportunity to manage and supervise research assistants and policy analysts.
• Produce high-quality research and timely analysis of Missouri municipal and political subdivision policies at the state and local level with proposed market-based reforms
• Identify and implement strategic goals around issues that will improve the quality and accountability of municipalities in Missouri; reduce local spending, taxes and regulatory burdens; remove barriers to earning a living, and eliminate government’s selection of winners and losers
• Write Op-ed’s, Blogs, and Research Papers concerning these issues
• Make presentations on media and before audiences around the state
• Manage and supervise research assistants and policy analysts
• Master’s degree (Economics or Finance preferred)
• 4+ years of experience in the field of economics, government administration, and municipal policy
• Understanding of Missouri government structure, municipal statistical information, state and local economic growth and tax policies
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Demonstrated analytical and research experience using common econometric and statistical methods
• Experienced use of Excel, Tableau, STATA and/or R preferred
• Commitment to the principles of a free society
• Self-starter, self-aware, and intellectually curious
• Ability to work well independently or with others
• Strong work ethic, detail-oriented, able to multitask
Monday-Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This individual will spend the majority of his or her first few months developing a strategic research agenda and producing multiple forms of related content. Within a couple of months, this individual will be expected to be able to make effective presentations before audiences and on radio and camera.
Simple IRA (available the year following the year of employment provided $5,000 was earned that year), match up to 3% of salary.
Medical Insurance: Covered at 80% of employee’s premium for individual coverage (Typically around $280-$450 per month). It is possible to add dependents, but the employee will pay 100% of their family’s premium.
Vacation/Sick Pay: Employee accrues 1.5 days of leave per month (vacation and sick). The following calendar year: 2 weeks vacation (10 days) and 6 personal or sick days.
Holiday Time: Thanksgiving and the Friday after, Closed from December 24 - January 1, 5 other federal holidays, opportunity to observe up to 2 religious holidays during the year.