The Missouri Department of Transportation is seeking to hire a full-time Highway Designer in several locations across Missouri. Qualified applicants should create an applicant profile through the "apply externally" link to MoDOT's career opportunities page. After creating a profile, any job with MoDOT can be easily applied to with just a few clicks.
We invite you to join our diverse team of engineers supporting Missouri's transportation system!
Highway designers assist in determining design features and performing computations for detailed construction plans for highway projects. These plans involve new roadway projects and improvements to existing roads. Using automated design software, an entry-level highway designer works with senior-level designers to develop plans, specifications, and estimates.
Duties include establishing grade lines and hydraulic designs, delineating right of way, determining size and location of easements, and designing culverts for drainage. More experienced designers manage individual projects from start to finish and work with design technicians to produce plans ready for construction. At the Central Office, highway designers review all roadway plans and advertise projects for bids.
Examples of Work:
- Designs projects, including but not limited to, bridge replacements and resurfacing utilizing engineering software;prepares reconnaissance and conceptual reports and other project correspondence, including but not limited to,environmental impact statements.
- Determines highway design features including geometrics, standards for highway functional classification, profile grades, typical sections, earthwork quantities, signals, signing and lighting, construction staging, traffic control,drainage, construction limits, exceptions to design standards, and safety improvements; uses computer aided drafting and design (CADD) system and other engineering software for computations and plan preparation.
- Assists in the development and review of detailed preliminary plans, right of way plans, and final plans for complex projects, including but not limited to, interchanges, urban, or major bridge projects; ensures plans are in accordance with current design standards, policies, specifications and practices.
- Computes quantities from standards and estimates costs for projects in all stages (preliminary to final) for the purpose of developing both short-term and long-term plans for construction.
- In conjunction with a Professional Land Surveyor, obtains and plots land and property lines on plans for survey notes and abstracts; computes areas; ties right of way points to center lines; determines size and location easements.
- Addresses public concerns directly and/or indirectly, including, but not limited to, written correspondence, telephone,e-mail, public hearings and personal meetings.
- Determines highway design features such as highway grades, typical roadway sections, earthwork quantities,elevations, profiles, horizontal and vertical alignment, bridges, and functional classes in accordance to design standards.
- Designs, codes, develops, supports, and configures engineering software applications to be used by the department's engineers and designers.
- Develops material for end users on department's engineering software applications and assists end users with software problems/issues.
- Performs lead worker responsibilities, which may include providing general instruction, assigning and reviewing work,coaching and training, providing guidance and instruction in the proper and most efficient methods of accomplishing tasks, and providing input to the direct supervisor on staffing decisions and performance management.
Minimum monthly salary for this position is $3,739.00 with comprehensive benefits package (3 weeks paid vacation, 14 state paid holidays, medical, life, dental, retirement, educational assistance, and more). Visit our benefits page for more information.
Minimum qualifications for this position are a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related field.
To apply for this position or for more information, please visit our Career Opportunities page at www.modot.org. Come build your career with us, and help us improve the lives of Missourians as a part of America's finest Transportation System.