Design - Car Design Internship (Fall 2020)
Internship Program at Tesla
The University Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the Team
The Car Design team at Tesla is responsible for contributing to the exterior design development of future Tesla vehicles. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class exteriors in terms of form, function and luxury.
Using your design experience and innovative thinking, you will be tasked with working with the team in creating designs for future cars, but may also be called upon for other design tasks (interior, product, etc.) based on your skillset. Our design team prides itself on being multitalented and flexible, and we look for the same in our potential candidates. You will report to a design manager and this position resides in the Hawthorne Design Studio.
What to Expect
- Develop design proposals for Tesla vehicles, ranging from broad design themes for the entire exterior all the way to component-level design.
- Create compelling sketches that show a vision for the future of Tesla design.
- You may have the opportunity to work with the team to guide a design from the sketch phase to concept modeling in Alias or clay, and possibly through to A-class surfacing.
- You will also work with engineers to come up with design and engineering solutions and with color and trim designers to create designs that consider the opportunities in CMF.
- Assist in working with suppliers to achieve the best possible product in terms of craftsmanship, cost, and engineering, while also staying as close to the design vision as possible.
- Pursuing a Bachelors or Master’s degree in Transportation Design, Vehicle Design, Automotive Design, or Industrial Design.
- Technical knowledge of prototyping, manufacturing, and assembly processes as it relates to automobiles is a plus.
- High level of skill taking 2D sketches to 3D modeling in Alias and clay.
- Excellent at creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships.
- Exceptional visual and oral communication skills.