St. Louis Teacher Resident
St. Louis Teacher Resident, Cohort 2020-21
St. Louis Teacher Residency (STLTR) recruits, trains, and supports aspiring educators who are committed to the city’s public schools. Through a model of rigorous clinical preparation, St. Louis Teacher Residency prepares teachers who are capable of accelerating student achievement from the moment they enter the classroom as a teacher of record.
The residency is designed as an apprenticeship program, leading candidates to earn their Missouri teacher certification in elementary education or secondary language arts, math, or science. In the second year, candidates become a lead teacher-of-record while continuing to pursue their Master’s degree with our partner, Washington University in St. Louis. Graduates commit to teach with their partner school for an additional two years, dramatically impacting the students, families, and communities that they serve.
Through our innovative residency model, St. Louis Teacher Residency provides candidates with an effective pathway into a career in education. During the residency, candidates will:
- Complete a rigorous full-year classroom apprenticeship, co-teaching with an experienced mentor teacher.
- Participate in concentrated and aligned graduate-level coursework preparing them to effectively serve students in high-needs schools and classrooms.
- Earn initial teacher certification in the state of Missouri and a Master’s degree from Washington University in St. Louis’s University College.
- Receive ongoing instructional coaching and support during their first two years in the classroom.
Who We Seek:
We seek diverse candidates who believe that all students are capable of achieving ambitious goals
and outcomes. In order to qualify, candidates must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Have a minimum 3.0 overall GPA
- Commit to teaching with their partner school or district for three years
During the apprenticeship year, residents receive an $18,000 living stipend along with health benefits. Residents are also guaranteed a full-time teaching position with one of our school partners upon completion of the apprenticeship year.
To Apply: Visit our website at https://www.stlteach.org/application-2020
St. Louis Teacher Residency does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, color, age, disability, or any personal characteristic protected by applicable law.