Transportation Planning Student Intern
Student Intern - Transportation
The Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) is seeking a qualified individual to serve as a Transportation Planning intern.
MARC, the association of local governments and metropolitan planning organization for the bistate Kansas City region, promotes and supports cooperation on regional issues, including transportation, the environment, our workforce and economy, aging services, community development, quality early learning, public safety communications and emergency services. MARC has a collaborative work environment with a culture based on integrity, innovation, diversity and inclusion, excellence in performance and service leadership.
The Transportation & Environment Department provides support to committees charged with establishing transportation goals and policies and planning and programming federal funds for the metropolitan area.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Transportation Intern may work full time during the summer and up to 20 hours per week during the school year. Daytime scheduling will be flexible. Occasional weekend or evening event work may be required. This internship will span from May through December 2020. There may be an opportunity for the internship to extend into the spring 2021 semester.
What you’ll do
· Data collection and processing
· Work with a geographic information system (GIS) to analyze, interpret, and display spatial data
· Write reports
Skills you’ll need
· Research and analytical skills
· Basic understanding of GIS
· Strong verbal and written communications skills
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Ability to manage one or more projects within deadlines
· Current student enrolled in a degree seeking program
· Educational and/or past work experience in urban planning, engineering, geography, public administration or a closely related field
· Valid driver’s license
Your resume will stand out if you have:
· Ability to research, integrate, analyze and interpret data from various sources to produce information and reports
· Strong computer skills using spreadsheets and word processing software
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with internal staff, governmental bodies, general public and outside organizations
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Internships are classified as hourly positions with no benefits and will be paid at the rate of $14.00 per hour. MARC offers an attractive team-oriented work environment.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, complete our online application form and attach your cover letter and resume. For more information, visit marc.org/jobs.
MARC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.