***Due to COVID-19, this position is on hold until further notice. Please continue to apply or submit your resume, as we plan to continue with with recruitment in the near future***
DAP is a leading manufacturer and supplier of home repair and construction products, including latex caulks, silicone sealants, contact cements, construction adhesives, glues, glazing, spackling, and other general patch and repair products. You'll find DAP products in the hands of professional painters, remodelers, builders and do-it-yourselfers, and in 60,000 retail outlets, ranging from home centers and mass merchandisers to your local hardware and paint stores. DAP's eight manufacturing and distribution facilities in the United States of America and Canada service North America and the world. The “DAP Stars" represent its 775 strong associates around the world which support its vision to produce and market America's best home repair products. DAP has twice been voted one of “Baltimore’s Best Places to Work”! Learn more about DAP’s history, culture and benefits at www.dap.com/careers.
We have an opening on our Technology & Innovation team in the Baltimore Corporate office. The Chemist in this role will support the efforts to research and develop new technologies, to assist in new product development, and to provide testing and analytical support and development.
- Work under supervision on projects that require extensive research, novel technology review and qualification, analytical and mechanical testing development, and evaluation for potential new applications;
- Collaborate with the technology innovation team and plant engineers/quality control managers to develop manufacturing capability and procedures for new technology and products;
- Work closely with DAP associates to develop test methods for existing and new products and technology;
- Complete technology feasibility assessment and benchmarking;
- Enter new raw materials and formulation data into the laboratory database systems;
- Conduct plant trials to qualify new technology and products;
- Perform analytical testing and summarize data per industry standards and internally developed test methods;
- Promote and champion laboratory safety, housekeeping, and preventive maintenance;
- Participate in the Laboratory Quality Management System functions;
- Maintain and calibrate laboratory instruments.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Materials Science, or related field;
- 4 or more years of hands-on bench experience with various chemistries (latex, moisture curing, reactive, etc.) in sealants, adhesives, coatings, repair or related field;
- Bench chemistry experience and familiarity with various analytical techniques: wet chemistry, titrations, microscopy, rheology, thermal analysis, tensile testing, etc.;
- Possess innovation skills evident as risk taking, result seeking, and idea integration;
- Experience operating lab scale mixing equipment as well as lab scale analytic and test apparatus;
- A passion for chemistry, science, problem solving, and creativity;
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and presentation skills;
- A breadth of technical knowledge and a keen interest in learning from others.