Associate Director of Finance
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Associate Director of Financial Management (“ADFM”) will report to and support the Senior Associate Director of Financial Management (SAD of FM) in, but not limited to, supporting the annual budgeting process, the management of budgets throughout the year and financial analysis. The ADFM will work closely with the members of the team to support team initiatives and projects, and reporting and compliance, as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Supports the annual budget development and management process for Uncommon Schools NYC through
- Conducting budget meetings with school leaders and report takeaways to SAD and Director
- Developing budget assumptions and clearly detailing inputs
- Assisting with the pre-budgeting analysis and recommendation
- Providing trainings for school leaders to develop the understanding of fiscal management concepts and budgeting processes
- Reviewing monthly reports and flagging issues
- Supporting development of Finance Committee materials
Supports and executes fiscal reporting and model maintenance
- Maintains the NYC regional financial models with current and accurate financial information
- Reports financials to State, regional teams, and other Home Office teams
Supports the development and implementation of team initiatives to build scalability and enhance processes while maintaining A+ service for our Home Office and Regional teams. Takes the lead on other special projects and requests, as needed.
Performs administrative task and related duties as assigned and required by the role.
Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Strong understanding of finance principles.
- Ability to build and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency.
- Attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment; Flexible, able to work autonomously as well as on a team and to take direction as needed.
- Strong digital literacy (MS Excel, Word, Outlook, internet research, etc.).
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum 2-3 years of demonstrated ability in an analytical role with a finance focus.