Government and Media Relations Fall Internship
ISW Internship Program Overview
The Institute for the Study of War (ISW) is committed to training the next generation of national security leaders through its innovative educational programs. ISW is currently seeking motivated and experienced college students or recent graduates to join our intern team. ISW offers a wide range of internships across diverse research portfolios and departments, including Counterterrorism, Russia, Turkey, Iraq, and Syria. ISW also offers internships in National Security Innovation and Emerging Technologies and in non-profit management, including Development and External Relations.
Why Work for ISW: ISW is a watchtower for U.S. national security; it aims to improve America’s ability to formulate and execute sound strategies for our nation’s defense. Military and civilian decision-makers, U.S. armed forces, humanitarian organizations, and journalists regularly use ISW’s outstanding real time analysis of ongoing conflicts. ISW also educates the next generation of national security leaders through innovative educational programs.
Interns at ISW have an unparalleled opportunity to contribute to the growth of an organization, learn how a non-profit is run, and gain valuable project management experience at a fast-paced think tank. Our interns work directly with director-level leadership. They receive classroom education, regular leadership engagement, and a chance to work with cutting-edge technologies employed in business and the intelligence community. ISW views interns as an integral component of the team and has hired many interns onto its staff.
Government and Media Relations Internship: ISW’s External Relations Team is focused on getting our analysis and ideas to key stakeholders in the national security community. Interns will harness their creativity to help our organization convey complex insights to multiple core audiences in a dynamic and fast-paced policy environment. Interns will have an opportunity to contribute to our communications, government relations, and partnership development projects. They will also assist with media engagement; publication launch campaigns; multimedia product development; Congressional outreach; public and private discussion events; network expansion; marketing and design; and other communications-related initiatives. Interns will work closely with the Director of Operations and interact with team members across ISW. This internship provides a unique learning and growth opportunity at a premier non-profit policy research organization in Washington, D.C.
- Candidates must be motivated and organized college students or recent graduates with demonstrated expertise in a related field;
- Candidates must possess excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills;
- Candidates must display the ability to conduct complex tasks in a timely and efficient manner;
- Candidates should be self-motivated, independent, creative, and capable of working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment;
- Candidates must show commitment to - and interest in - the core mission and values of ISW;
- Candidates should preferably be available to work full-time (i.e. five days per week)
- Experience with Adobe products such as InDesign or Illustrator is a plus
Fall 2020 Internship Program Dates: August 31 - December 18, 2020