Consultancy-Diversity and Inclusion Assessment
InterAction is the largest U.S. based coalition of international nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) with nearly 190 members working around the world in low- and middle-income countries, fragile and post-conflict states, and emerging/growth economies. Member organizations are large and small, secular and faith-based, with a focus on people living in the world’s most poor and vulnerable places. The U.S. public, foundations, and governments support the work of our member NGOs that collectively invest and manage more than $15.4 billion a year. InterAction revenues come from dues, government grants, private foundation and corporate grants, and a growing fee-for-service program portfolio. Using its collective voice and convening power, InterAction seeks to shape important policy decisions and actions across a wide range of issues – including foreign assistance, humanitarian relief, development, economic equity, food security, and climate change – that advance human dignity, human potential, and self-determination.
About the Project:
InterAction is seeking a consultant(s) with a proven track record in assessing humanitarian/development or similar organizations on diversity and inclusion. Experience developing, implementing, and advising humanitarian/development NGOs on diversity and inclusion is also desirable. InterAction defines diversity as differences according to gender, age, disability, cultural background, sexual orientation, social and economic background, education, religion, among others. InterAction defines inclusion as diverse people feeling valued and respected, who have access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute their perspectives and talents to improve the organization.
The consultant(s) will be responsible for several deliverables associated with assessing InterAction’s current state in terms of diversity and inclusion. Assessment findings will form the basis for InterAction’s development of a strategy and next steps. The consultant will be responsible for ensuring that the ‘do no harm’ principle is respected throughout and that efforts are made to be inclusive and collaborative with InterAction’s staff at all levels.
Position Title: Consultant(s)-Diversity and Inclusion Assessment
Position Type: Part-time, short-term
Location: Home-based/working remotely and at InterAction’s office (office work is dependent on InterAction’s policy due to COVID-19)
Due to COVID-19, all staff are currently working remotely and following InterAction’s COVID-19 policies.
There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position. InterAction will make reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Complete a desk review of InterAction’s existing policies and processes through a diversity and inclusion lens including external research to evaluate benchmarks in the landscape of the humanitarian and development sector
• Conduct a staff survey (or other similar approach) to assess levels of confidence, strengths, gaps, and opportunities for improvement in its policies, processes, and practices related to diversity and inclusion
• Hold focus group sessions and key informant interviews (or other similar approach) with staff members at various levels to discuss key findings arising from the desk review and staff survey
• Hold 1-2 informal ‘brown bag’ sessions at InterAction to discuss key topics that arise during the assessment
• Facilitate discussion(s) with all InterAction staff to present final assessment findings
• Support InterAction staff and the communications team, where relevant, to develop internal communications on the assessment process and findings from the assessment
• Other activities as needed and agreed upon by the consultant and InterAction
*InterAction will finalize the list of expected deliverables upon hire based on additional consultations with the consultant.
• At least 7 years of professional work experience on diversity and inclusion or related field
• Demonstrated experience conducting diversity and inclusion assessments with humanitarian/development or similar organizations and effectively engaging with different staff, including at the highest level of leadership, on related issues
• Solid understanding of the humanitarian and development sector highly desirable
• Excellent written and visual communication skills, including ability to present sensitive issues clearly to a large audience and facilitate group discussions remotely as well as in-person
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time and competing demands effectively while working under pressure with tight deadlines
• Able to balance the need to work independently while collaborating closely with InterAction staff
• Fluency in English
InterAction provides competitive salaries
Expected Start Date:
Late August – exact date to be determined in conjunction with the consultant(s)
InterAction’s Senior Director of Finance and Administration
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Interested candidates should send the following documents to email@example.com with the subject line containing Consultancy-Diversity and Inclusion Assessment. Deadline for applications is July 19. Applications submitted after may be considered on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered for this position.
1. Cover letter that addresses qualifications relevant to this solicitation including:
- Experience working with humanitarian/development or similar organizations
- Examples of work conducting diversity and inclusion assessments as a basis for strategy development
- Examples of working with humanitarian/development or similar organizations addressing diversity and inclusion internally
2.Curriculum Vitae (CV) of all staff working on the consultancy
3.Proposed outline of methodology including:
- Specific activities and deliverables you deem necessary and detailed timeline including estimated number of days per activity
- Process/methods for completing desired deliverables
- Process/methods for obtaining feedback from organizational leadership and staff at all levels
4.Consultancy proposed rate and budget justifications including:
- Detailed list of all costs and out of pocket expenses
- Detailed scope of work as included in the quoted price and a list of what, if any, costs/services are outside the scope of work
5.Three professional references with at least two from a past consultancy assignment within the last 24 months
Due to the volume of applications, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls please!