Propeller is seeking a seasoned professional to oversee grant management, finance, and accounting activities. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a budget of approximately $2.5mm, including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, grants administration, and Social Venture Fund financial management and reporting. The Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board finance and audit committee and will work closely with organizational leadership to ensure effective systems and procedures are implemented successfully to prepare for and support annual audits.
Major Responsibilities & Outcomes
Finance and Accounting Leadership
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate all audit activity.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of Propeller’s financial status.
- Assist Propeller’s leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the Executive Director in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the program vice presidents; continuously collaborate with program vice presidents to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Work closely with program leaders and staff to streamline finance and accounting procedures.
- Leverage strengths of the current operations team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Personal qualities of emotional intelligence and maturity, humility, and unwavering commitment to Propeller’s mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own the responsibility for finance
- Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is essential
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus. simple reporting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance manager
Compensation: Competitive salary, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Propeller also offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, long- and short-term disability insurance, retirement, paid time off, and professional development resources and opportunities.
Start Date: Q2 – Q3 2020
Application Deadline: June 15, 2020; we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
Application Directions: Apply here by presenting your resume and cover letter OR short-answer responses to the questions below. If you choose to submit a cover letter, please explain in your submission how you heard about Propeller and your interest and qualifications in the position.
- What will be your greatest strength in this role? In what way will you need to grow the most to be successful in this role? (2-4 sentences)
- Share a successful project or initiative you led related to nonprofit grants management, finance, or accounting that makes you proud. (2-4 sentences)
- What gives you energy in your current work? What drains your energy in your current work? (2-4 sentences)
- Why do you feel it’s important to build an inclusive entrepreneurship ecosystem in the city of New Orleans? (2-4 sentences)
- What are your salary requirements? (1-2 sentences)
About Propeller: A Force for Social Innovation
Propeller: A Force for Social Innovation is a 501c3 nonprofit dedicated to supporting social innovation in New Orleans. Our mission is to grow and support entrepreneurs to tackle social and environmental disparities. We envision a powerful community of diverse entrepreneurs and stakeholders working together for a more equitable future where everyone can lead healthy, fulfilling lives free of racism, poverty, and other systems of oppression.
Our strategy is to build a critical mass of businesses and nonprofits working to tackle disparities in our five areas of focus: community economic development, education, food, health, and water. Propeller challenges inequitable systems that perpetuate racial disparities in our five areas of focus by working at the institutional level in partnership with entrepreneurs committed to racial equity.
Propeller and its Ventures have received local and national recognition in The New York Times, TIME, Los Angeles Times, Entrepreneur, Fast Company, Wired, Forbes, The Advocate and The Times Picayune. To learn more about Propeller, visit gopropeller.org.
Propeller is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Women and candidates of color are encouraged to submit applications.