Accountant/Accounting Analyst(Job Id 14293)
Job ID: 14293
Agency: Bureau of Finance & Management
Salary:$42,000-$70,000 depending on experience
Pay Grade: Depends on qualifications
Closing Date: 7-27-20
This is a full-time position with the Bureau of Finance & Management. For more information on the Bureau of Finance & Management, please visit https://bfm.sd.gov/.
The Bureau of Finance and Management (BFM) is a vital component of the state’s financial operations. Our small but industrious staff works in five divisions: Budget Analysis, Accounting and Financial Reporting, Executive Management Finance Office, Financial Systems, and Internal Control.
These teams are responsible for managing the state budget process, completing the state’s annual financial statements, serving as the finance office for all state bureaus, managing the operations of the state’s financial and HR systems, and implementing and managing the state’s internal control framework.
BFM has a history of producing leaders in state government. Many department secretaries, commissioners, division directors, agency finance officers, and high-level accountants started at, or spent parts of their careers with BFM.
This position is a full-time accounting position within BFM’s Accounting and Financial Reporting Office located in Pierre, SD. Opportunity for career growth exists with several different career paths available.
The candidate selected for this position will have the opportunity to:
- be part of an expanding and innovative team designed to carry out statewide accounting and financial reporting;
- learn governmental accounting;
- prepare financial statements for the State of South Dakota;
- provide statewide leadership, advocacy, and service to other state agencies;
- carry out specialized accounting processes performed within BFM.
Beyond the chance to discuss, influence, and create state fiscal and accounting policy, employment with state government comes with many great benefits:
- A fully funded state pension plan that is rated as one of the best in the nation;
- A generous, no-premium, health insurance plan;
- Three weeks of paid vacation plus three weeks of paid sick leave per year to help ensure work-life balance.
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting is required. No experience is required but experience in governmental accounting and CPA certification is beneficial.
- Microsoft Excel, Word, Query, and other desktop tools;
- governmental (fund) accounting;
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements;
- Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and Governmental Auditing Standards;
- governmental fiscal administrative processes.
- communicate information clearly and concisely;
- work within a team environment;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
- attention to details.
Additional Requirements: To be considered, attach a cover letter, resume, and college transcript with your application.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information please visit https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
500 East Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"