Sr. Financial Manager
Open Date: June 30, 2020
Close Date: July 20, 2020
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and at locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
Fermilab’s Finance Organization seeks a Senior Financial Manager to assist in the financial activities of the Laboratory. As Deputy to the Senior Financial Manager, the selected candidate will assist with the execution, coordination, management and oversight of all budget and financial activities in the Particle Physics Division.
- Assist with preparation of projections for financial planning and forecasts for out-year planning cycles based on guidance from the Laboratory Directorate, information regarding the Laboratory's operations and experimental programs, anticipated equipment and facility upgrades, capital project plans, historical data and input from others within the organization such as Department Heads and Project Liaisons and Leaders.
- Execute Project Accounting maintenance to establish new projects and additions or modifications to the existing Project Accounting Task Structure(s); has primary responsibility for enabling and disabling tasks for the organization(s) to which assigned.
- Provide budgetary and financial guidance to senior management; coordinates, oversees or guides major Division administrative activities, such as inventory/property management, procurements and/or procurement tracking, personnel/employment information or similar business functions as may be required.
- Represents the organization(s) to which assigned on various cross-functional teams.
- Use standard tools to obtain financial information from Fermilab financial systems.
- Assist the department with other duties as assigned.
- Assist the scientific and technical staff in establishing budget estimates.
- Respect understand and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
- Abide by all environment, safety and health regulations.
We Are Looking For:
- Bachelors’ Degree in accounting, finance or another relevant business discipline with 6+ years of relevant experience OR High School Diploma with 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Strong understanding of overhead Pools and/or service center, set-up and tracking of costs.
- 6+years relevant experience that reflects a strong financial background.
- Strong reporting and database skills including Excel, Access, and other financial tools.
- Knowledge and experience with Oracle EBS, or similar large-scale financial system, and Oracle Discoverer, or similar data query tool, preferred.
- Ability to create accurate financial reports using the standard as well as ad hoc formats.
- Ability to investigate unexpected financial results and report findings.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Must be able to interact regularly with scientific, technical, business, and administrative groups within the Laboratory and User community.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively and courteously with a diverse workplace population.
- Excellent organization skills including the ability to independently coordinate and accurately execute multiple time-sensitive tasks under strict deadlines.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills including a demonstrated aptitude for attention to detail and comprehensive record keeping.
- Knowledge of obligation-based budgeting concepts and practices is advantageous.
Relocation is not available for this position
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Tight Work Schedule, Visually Demanding
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability and willingness to occasionally work beyond the normal workday and on weekends during critical reporting periods.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.