Discovery Theater Intern (Winter/Spring 2021)
Smithsonian Associates Discovery Theater Intern
ABOUT SMITHSONIAN ASSOCIATES
For more than 50 years, Smithsonian Associates—the largest museum-based education program in the world—has produced vibrant educational and cultural programming that brings the Smithsonian to life. Inspired by the Smithsonian’s research, collections, and exhibitions, each year nearly 1,000 public programs spark creativity and excite learning in people of all ages.
ABOUT DISCOVERY THEATER
Discovery Theater offers the best in live performance for young people that taps into the resources of the Smithsonian to present relevant, culturally accurate entertaining programs. We offer interactive productions that feature puppets, storytellers, dancers, actors, musicians, and mimes.
• Attend meetings, rehearsals, and possible auditions.
• Write report of each activity attended and create action items generated.
• Meet daily with staff to discuss completed programs and upcoming events.
• Generate, edit, and update scripts, learning materials, and online content.
• Explore the Smithsonian, thinking about the potential connection to DT programs. Share those thoughts with DT director in short storyboards or written idea papers.
• Usher and assist at DT events, programs, and shows.
• Write weekly reports outlining tasks completed, challenges, and reflections.
• Assist with various aspects of the technical and production side of theater.
• Participate actively in running and preparing for both produced and presented shows for Discovery Theater. Work in one or more of the following areas: stage management, sound, lighting, props & costumes.
• Assist with office duties, daily operations, artist communication, hospitality, and web research.
• Assist with house management duties for the theater and box office/group sales.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
• The intern will be exposed to artistic administration including season planning, developing museum theater pieces, and using theater as an educational tool, as well as receive basic knowledge of technical theater work and insight into the administrative side of Museum Theater.
• Supervisors will work with interns’ interests in training and networking with the DC theater community and at the Smithsonian.
• Possible training opportunities include Sound and Lighting Design, Live Mixing Audio (theatrical/concert), QLab, Basic Carpentry, Costuming (technologies, wardrobe, and design), Microsoft Office, Tessitura.
• We seek candidates who have strong organizational and communication skills.
• Candidate should be responsible, creative, personable, and resourceful.
• Must have a professional demeanor, writing ability, and internet research skills.
• Familiar with computers, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher.
• History or interest in theater and/or arts education and administration is a must!
30 to 40 hours/week; one full semester to one academic year. Part-time availability will also be considered.
Weekdays with an occasional weekend day or evening
Roberta Gasbarre, Discovery Theater Programmer
All Associates internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern's university/college.
S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC
Prospective interns are required to submit the following:
1. Application for Smithsonian Institute Internships
2. Two letters of recommendation (usually from professors)
3. Recent writing sample (usually a paper written for school and at least two pages)
4. Most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
Interns at the Smithsonian are required to undergo a security background investigation and fingerprinting through the Office of Protection Services before they are accepted into an internship.
• Winter/Spring: January to May
• Summer: June to August
• Fall: September to December
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the following dates:
• Winter/Spring Positions: October 1
• Summer Positions: February 1
• Fall Positions: July 1
Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.
SMITHSONIAN ASSOCIATES WEBSITE
Intern positions at Smithsonian Associates are available year-round. For more information go to https://smithsonianassociates.org/ticketing/internships/start.aspx
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT
Ms. Heather Jaran
PO Box 23293
Washington DC 20026-3293