Research Associate (Food Scientist)
Summary Plans, organizes, assists with and conducts food science research for use in own work or in Research & Development Department projects by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Generates ideas and suggestions in support of new product development within the Research & Development Department.
- Supports the overall scientific development of ten to fifteen new products per year or six to ten projects per year that lead to new science with ideas and bench work.
- Understands food product manufacturing equipment including but not limited to meat grinders, canning equipment, extrusion machines, and dry blend equipment.
- Develops plans for project or studies guidelines for project prepared by department scientists to outline research procedures to be followed.
- Plans schedule according to variety of methods to be used, availability and quantity of resources, and number of personnel assigned to participate in project.
- Conducts research, utilizing laboratory, archives, and collections, and other sources of information, to collect, record, analyze, and evaluate facts.
- Discusses findings with other personnel to evaluate validity of findings.
- Prepares reports of completed projects for use in further applied or theoretical research activities.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in food science, chemistry, animal science, biology, or other related field.
- Internship in Food Science preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of safety practices applicable to food research laboratory environments and ability to follow designated safety procedures
- Ability to maintain accurate records relating to jobs as they are planned performed and completed. Skill to use electronic means for recording data.
- Knowledge of properties and applications of ingredients and materials involved in testing and the skill to safely handle them.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to interact effectively with peers, co-workers, scientists, researchers, supervisors, customers and vendors as required.
- Ability to follow instructions and respond to management direction.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical materials.
- Proficient skill level in MS Office Applications such as Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of algebraic and calculus mathematical concepts, theory, and application.