Environmental Public Health Specialist I
Job Description: Environmental Public Health Specialist I
Annual Salary: $ 39,000
Supervisor: Environmental Public Health Supervisor
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform inspections and investigations and provides enforcement and consultation for a broad range of environmental health and sanitation laws and regulations.
- Determine needs for corrective action and provides appropriate assistance, conduct surveys, and collect data.
- Interpret environmental health laws and regulations to contractors, public and private officials, and the general public.
- Inspect restaurants, mobile food units, hotels and motels, daycare, aquatic, and recreational facilities, etc. for sanitary code compliance and enforce environmental health regulations associated with other business and construction activities.
- Inspect and investigate food borne illness and communicable diseases.
- Review and evaluate commercial food storage, sanitation equipment, preparation, handling, and processing for food-borne illness prevention.
- Review food service employees' health for possible contamination source. Work with business owners and food service personnel in a collaborative fashion to provide training and assistance regarding sanitary procedures and code compliance.
- Coordinate sanitation activities with regulatory agencies. Participate in legal proceedings regarding food and communicable disease violations. Performs other duties as required and assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of thirty (30) earned credit hours in one or a combination of the following: Biology, Chemistry, Bacteriology, Animal Science, Food Science, Soil Science, Sanitary Science, Environmental Health, or in closely related physical or natural sciences.
- Professional or technical environmental public health work experience involving one or more of the areas of special qualifying experience may substitute on a year-for-year basis for a maximum of two years for deficiencies in the required college education.
- Environmental public health work experience involving one or more of the areas of special qualifying experience in the United States military may substitute on a year-for- year basis for deficiencies in the required college education.
- Special Qualifying Experience – food sanitation and protection; milk sanitation; meat and poultry inspection; sewage disposal; solid waste disposal; lodging sanitation; institutional or childcare facility sanitation; community environmental sanitation; water supply; general vector control; occupations health; consumer product safety; fire safety; hazardous substance risk assessment; recreational waters; and building related illnesses.
- Possession of Registered Environmental Health Specialist certification preferred.
- Will complete NIMS training within 6 months of hire.
- Valid driver’s license and professional certifications as appropriate.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with business owners, professionals, and the general public.
- Ability to analyze data and information using established criteria.
- Ability to work with computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Ability to exert very moderate physical effort in sedentary to light work.
- While performing essential functions of this position the employee is frequently exposed to infectious or contagious diseases, toxic or caustic chemicals and outdoor weather conditions.
- Must be able to perform bending and reaching to both ground level and overhead; lifts, carries, pushes, and pulls up to 30 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Drug testing and background check will be required. In addition to the application, testing and/or examinations may be required for further consideration on this position.
Position Open until filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $39,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Bilingual (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- Multiple locations
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Remote interview process
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place