The KY3/KSPR newsroom in beautiful Springfield, MO is looking for a dynamic, energetic television news producer. The right employee will oversee the overall direction of the newscast including pre-production, graphics, content, editing and writing. We love creative producers who don’t just stack and write a newscast but showcase each story. Must bring story ideas to the table daily and be able to write excellent conversational stories. This newsroom is a combined ABC, NBC and CW station with nine hours of news during weekdays, and a combined staff of 20 MMJs. You would be responsible for one-hour of news. It is essential that you be able to maintain a level of calm and make quick decisions in intense pressure situations. These two stations have won more than 250 awards in the last few years, including the regional and national Edward R. Murrow for best newscast. We stay on top of technology with an OTT center, an alert center, two touchscreen monitors, more than a dozen ways to go live, vertical monitors and a large set that helps producers be as creative as they want with showcasing and team coverage. The best candidate will use video and sound that makes the first minute of the newscast rock, work with reporters to develop demonstrative live shots and write teases that will make sure no one turns the channel. You should have a passion for news and a love of producing to apply for this job. We prefer someone with a journalism degree from a college or university and a year of experience producing a newscast.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prioritize, organize, and produce newscasts following the station brand and goals
• Responsible for writing clearly, concisely and very conversationally
• Must maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and extensive list of local contacts
• Accurate video editing with an eye for visual elements and graphics that makes stories understandable to the viewer
• Responsible for developing original story ideas for daily newscasts
• Special emphasis on working with reporters on story treatment, and be able to accurately gather information for news stories under pressure
• Act as a leader in facilitating teamwork of staff members working on your specific newscast
• Able to accurately and calmly handle decision-making process, especially in the control room
• Must possess excellent communication and organizational abilities, including working with the News Director to ensure story accuracy, and to determine the best presentation of reports
• Responsible for creating a unique approach to all digital elements for the newscast, including Facebook page, Twitter, website
• Copy/edit stories on the websites while checking newscast scripts
• Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evening, weekends, and holidays as needed
• Must create “Anchor moments” in newscasts, do break-outs of stories with reporters
• Must post additional content (stories, links, video, polls, etc.) to the web and/or Facebook daily
• Make regular beat checks
• Performs other incidental and related duties as assigned and attention to detail is required
• Must train on adding breaking news and other stories to the website, our social media pages, and learn to send out breaking news alerts
• Must be able to take charge in the newsroom to lead the team for your newscast and take charge in the control room when timing newscasts to add and quickly write breaking news.
• Strong initiative and attention to detail are a must.
• Must have the desire to be at work during big breaking news, weather coverage and special event coverage
· Duties are performed mostly indoors in an office environment.
· Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
· While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, hear, use hands and fingers, reach, grab, handle or feel, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. Regularly sit, talk, and hear.
· Nights, overnights, weekends and holidays may be required.
To Apply: Send your application, resume, and link to your latest resume tape to:
999 W. Sunshine
Springfield, MO 65807
Or, apply by following this link:
KY3/KSPR is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
All job offers are contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug screen and an acceptable driving record for driving positions.
This job description does not necessarily contain all of the actual or essential duties of this position.