Safety Officer: Ellis Library EVENING SHIFT
The Security Department of Ellis Library protects the valuable material located in the library as well as maintains a safe environment for the library patrons.
These positions maintain the security and integrity of the library, its employees and its patrons after library administration's regular hours. Responsible for hourly rounds, closing procedures, locking and unlocking doors as needed, assisting patrons and staff, setting/disarming alarm systems, and responding to emergency or routine situations as needed.
Specific Duties Include:
- Work evening shift up to midnight
- Provide security assistance and protection for library staff, patrons and materials and enforce library and security policies and procedures
- Conduct regular, hourly building patrols, ½ hour patrols during finals week
- Close Ellis Library
- Prevent improper removal of library material
- Process lost and found articles
- Investigate and report security incidents (e.g., policy violations, thefts, emergencies, etc.)
- Perform special projects as assigned
- Initiate communication with supervisor regarding security issues, project difficulties, etc.
- Investigate and report maintenance problems (i.e. plumbing, elevators, alarm systems)
- Handle simple maintenance problems if possible
- Must be available to work evening shifts up to midnight
- Must be able to work up to 20 hours/week
- Must be able to patrol building on a regular basis
- Strong interpersonal skills, must be able to be assertive and polite
- Ability to both follow established guidelines and appropriately respond to unique situations
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work in various situations
- Basic computer/keyboarding skills are required
- Must be able to pass standard First Aid and CPR courses
- Ability to meet project deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff
- Flexibility in scheduling is essential; must also be willing to respond on short notice to requests for coverage
- Missouri driver's license
- Prior security experience
Please submit your resume through HireMizzouTigers.com (Handshake) to be fully considered for this opening.
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery, and excellence.
The University of Missouri is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, call the Associate Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Accessibility & ADA Education at 573-882-5835.