New Grad (MBA) - AMER Sales Finance - Sr. Financial Analyst (May 2022)
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
VMware’s Strategy & Corporate Venture team provides a unique blend of experience and exposure. On one hand it gives you the opportunity to work closely with company leadership to define and develop strategy as an in-house strategy consultant, while on the other hand it allows you to be a venture capital investor, through VMware’s corporate venture arm. If you are looking for the excitement and challenges of a strategy consultant and a VC, with a front row seat to the cutting-edge technologies, this role is right for you.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
The primary objective of this position is to keep track of emerging technology and market trends, understand their implications to VMware’s future, and use that knowledge to influence VMware’s strategy and prepare for the future by leveraging external innovation. Individuals in this role track and participate in emerging trends through strategy projects and through strategic venture investments.
- Within 30 days of employment, become familiar with VMware various lines of business and products. This period will also give you exposure to the various processes and best practices within the team.
- Within 90 days of employment, gain expertise in an initial set of domains that are relevant to VMware. You will develop landscapes, estimate market sizes, identify key and emerging players, and trends across various categories within the domains. During this period, you will also get to engage with start-ups and develop an understanding of the investment process.
- Within 180 days you should be able to liaise with executives from various business units to facilitate discussion around strategic rationale for investment and/or present actionable findings to help support the business unit’s strategic roadmap.
- Within 360 days you should be the expert in a few domains and equipped to independently run strategic projects and the end-to-end investment process.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Develop a keen understanding of, and monitor key technology and market trends in specific areas of interest to VMware.
- Maintain firm view of market landscape of industry participants. This includes emerging startup companies, market shares, relative competitive advantage, and business models.
- Apply creative problem-solving skills to strategic questions; deliver analytically rigorous insights derived from data, to support strategic direction and prioritization.
- Work collaboratively across organizations to support cross-company strategy efforts; lead key strategic initiatives spanning strategic planning, growth strategy, and new business development.
- Support the full lifecycle of investment and strategic business development deals; develop strategic rationale, source deals, create business cases, conduct company and industry due diligence to support investment or business development opportunities.
- Specific technology areas you will focus on include:
- Compute, networking, storage, security, management and mobility
- Enterprise data center and cloud infrastructure
- Application development, integration, deployment, lifecycle management
- Cloud based developer, IT and application services
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
You will be joining the Strategy & Corporate Ventures headed by a VP. The team is comprised of members at the Senior Director, Director, Senior Manager, Manager, Sr. Associate and Associate levels.
The team culture is based on a self-driven and initiative-taking mindset, with ample coaching and guidance along the way to help you achieve and showcase your best self. The team also encourages and supports new and innovative ideas to do things more effectively. The team consists of a diverse group of people and encourages a global perspective on problems and solutions.
Where is this role located?
Flexible: this role is based out of VMware’s Palo Alto office and open to candidates in the surrounding area. Work will be done from an office some days during a week and other days from a non-VMware building.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware.
This role is available to MBA-level New Graduates only. 'New Graduate' applies to those possessing a degree level requirement with a graduation date between May 2021 and May 2022.