Government Affairs Intern
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) Heart of America is a chapter of ABC, a national construction industry trade association representing nearly 21,000 chapter members. The ABC HOA chapter is headquartered in Kansas City, MO and serves over 260 members in Missouri and Kansas. ABC helps members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work.
ABC is looking for an intern for the Fall 2021 or Spring 2022 semesters. Our newest team member will primarily focus on legislative and government affairs issues.
Interns can expect to develop communication skills, project management, problem solving, and relationship building. Those looking to build relationships and experience in the construction industry, not-for-profits/association management, or political and advocacy would be a great fit for this role. Internships can be completed for college credit, and are paid. We can create a remote work opportunity for candidates outside of the KC metro area.
Sample projects include:
- Legislative research in preparation for 2022 session in KS/MO, including filed legislation, as well as legislators and committee assignments.
- Legislator survey program for 2022 Election Cycle -this includes legislators at both the state and federal levels
- Events/Fundraising - Coordinate with members for jobsite visits with state and federal legislators, create/distribute invitations and manage guest lists for events
- Committees and Commissions - Learn to track newly introduced and followed bills at the local/council level
- Communications - Find relevant news articles and upcoming events for inclusion in legislative affairs updates and/or association wide email communications
- Copywriting for blogs and articles, particularly that which explain the impacts of potential legislation
Our culture is full of energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Organizational awareness & resourcefulness - understanding of whom to engage in order to identify solutions & resolve issues.
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Strong computer skills including word processing, database management, electronic mail, spreadsheets, etc.