Field CADD/Survey Technician
Field CADD/Survey Technician
Burns & McDonnell is a 100% employee-owned firm ranked on FORTUNE’s List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in numerous cities across the United States and has an great opportunity in the Chicago area (Offices Downers Grove/Chicago). We are looking for a Field Cadd/Survey Technician to perform field oversight and activities as they relate to construction project oversight. This would include but not limited to preliminary site survey control layout, topographical survey GPS survey, Lidar shooting of civil sites and facilities. Included would be download and manipulation of survey data into a useable format for design and observation.
This position will work in our Transportation Global Practice Division for construction services on site oversight and design services for design survey and data acquisition. and provide guidance and direction by utilizing knowledge of standards, systems, document control, departmental guides, applicable codes and Burns & McDonnell policies and procedures.
- Assist engineers in various technical aspects by conducting site surveys.
- Collect field data utilizing various types of equipment, devices and hardware best suited for each application.
- Compile technical data to be presented to Design Project Managers and senior staff to be used in design development.
- Produce accurate and complete documentation of field data for use in engineering projects.
- Verify installation for in-place elements on construction projects.
- Interface with client owner and contracting partner as needed.
- Ensure compliance with company and site safety policies.
- Ability to travel on a regular basis
- All other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Associates degree in science or related field preferred by not required. Preferred minimum 4-years of applicable experience or a 2-year applicable technical degree without experience.
- Preferred candidate should possess a general understanding of site investigations, inspections and assessments with basic knowledge of engineering design, construction, and inspection.
- Previous construction or consulting experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a team environment working with, and supporting, project managers, directors, engineers, technicians, and site workers within the project.
- Ability to work and maintain positive relationships with various governmental agencies, clients, contractors, residents, suppliers, technical experts, and consultants.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read and understand engineering maps.
- Valid driver’s license required
- Must have knowledge of survey equipment and procedures (i.e. Total Station, GPS, Automatic Level, Topographical Surveys, Level Runs, etc.)
- Must have basic computer software knowledge (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point).
Job Field CADD/Survey Technician
Primary Location US-IL-Chicago / US-MI-Detroit
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time