Assistant University Educator
The University of Wyoming invites diverse applicants to consider our employment opportunities. We are also especially interested in candidates who have experience working with diverse populations and/or diverse initiatives.
Assistant University Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development, Lincoln County, Kemmerer, WY.
This position provides educational programs in the area of 4-H Youth Development in Lincoln County; provides leadership for traditional and non-traditional 4-H and youth programs; and supports general Extension functions in Lincoln County. Lincoln County’s 4-H program has approximately 377 members and 63 volunteer leaders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The individual in this position works as a representative of the University of Wyoming (UW) in the delivery of a comprehensive 4-H youth development program in conjunction with the full-time 4-H Educator in Lincoln County and under the supervision of the associate director. This function is realized through existing and new youth clubs, school enrichment activities, and other educational programming. This position is also responsible for the management and coordination of the county-owned arena facilities in Kemmerer. Duties include:
- Implement educational programs, policies, materials, and activities as part of the overall efforts of the Wyoming 4-H program and the identified needs of Lincoln County clientele.
- Management and oversight of the South Lincoln County Arena which includes application processing, rental contracts, fee collection, equipment rental, overseeing repairs/ upgrades, and handling disciplinary actions associated with the community barn, green houses, and livestock arena.
- Coordinate with the Lincoln County Board of Commissioners and Lincoln County Attorney on all management issues pertaining to arena management.
- Pursue grants and other funding sources for continued upgrades for the South Lincoln County Arena.
- Organize, coordinate, and support participation in 4-H events, camps, clinics, contests, and fairs.
- Provide leadership in recruiting, training, and retention of adult volunteers.
- Provide leadership in recruiting and retaining youth members in clubs.
- Provide leadership and support to 4-H Clubs, 4-H Councils, and project committees.
- Provide information to volunteers, youth, and parents regarding educational opportunities through the use of e-mail, social media, applications, and print communication formats.
- Foster relationships and develop partnerships with other youth serving groups, schools, or organizations.
- Coordinate registration, supervision, and transportation for participants in 4-H related events held in other counties, across the state, or out of state.
- Implement program evaluation, documentation, and reporting.
- Provide administrative oversight to financial and fundraising efforts involving 4-H youth and volunteers.
- Foster a culture of positive youth development in all 4-H programming efforts.
- Contribute to various teams including county office, multi-county area, state 4-H initiative, youth issues, and other UW Extension initiative teams.
- A valid driver’s license and serviceable/insured vehicle.
- The ability to participate in physically active educational experiences
PLEASE NOTE: Duties of this position often include physical activities associated with experiential learning. The University of Wyoming is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer and employees with disabilities may request reasonable accommodations.
Approximate Time Distribution
4-H and Youth Development - 50%; management and oversight of the South Lincoln County Arena area – 50%
REMOTE WORK ELIGIBILITY:
This position provides vital support to UW Extension clientele and requires the successful candidate be available to work in the Kemmerer, Lincoln County Extension Office.
- An earned bachelor’s degree with academic training and/or professional experience relevant to the responsibilities of the position.
- Valid driver's license with a motor vehicle record (MVR) that is compliant with the University Vehicle Use Policy.
- Demonstrated prior 4-H experience.
- Knowledge of positive youth development principles and teaching methods.
- Demonstrated skills and abilities to organize and facilitate educational programs and activities such as; contests, workshops, camps, and/or fairs as part of the 4-H program.
- Experience recruiting, training, and managing adult volunteers.
- Academic training and/or experience to support mastery of specific 4-H projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of educational program development, implementation and evaluation.
- Experience teaching youth and adult audiences.
- Excellence in ability to communicate orally and in writing. Evidence documented through application materials and experience.
- Experience in developing partnerships with other youth serving organizations and fostering positive relationships with community stakeholders.
- Demonstrated teamwork.
- Experience with under-served and/or diverse youth audiences.
- Knowledge of Extension and the land-grant university system.
- Knowledge of and appreciation for rural and agricultural communities.
- Completed online UW application
- Detailed letter of intent specifically addressing qualifications relative to the responsibilities and qualifications of the position
- Current resume/curriculum vitae
- Copies of all college transcripts; (official transcripts required at time of hiring).
- Four (4) letters of reference from individuals who can address your professional qualifications.
Contact for application information or questions regarding transcripts or reference letters:
Ann Roberson, Business Manager
University of Wyoming Extension
1000 E. University Ave., Dept. #3354
Laramie, WY 82071
For specific position information, contact:
Bridger Fuez, Interim Associate Director
University of Wyoming Extension
UW is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position, please call 307-766-2377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT KEMMERER, LINCOLN COUNTY, WYOMING:
This position will be based in Lincoln County, Kemmerer, located in the southwest corner of Wyoming. The county population is 19,581. Kemmerer, the county seat, has a population of 2,747. The county is a study of contrasts from snow-capped mountains and high plateaus in the north Star Valley area to vast prairie lands in the south and the Red Desert Basin. Kemmerer is known as the “Fossil Fish Capital of the World” and the “Gateway to the West”. Lincoln County offers a wide variety of year-round activities including camping, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, and horseback riding. The JC Penney chain was founded in Kemmerer in 1902 and the original store is still a thriving retail outlet.