Food Strategy Coordinator
TITLE: Food Strategy Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time/Exempt/Benefit Eligible
SUPERVISOR: Director of Food Strategy and Safety
ORGANIZATIONAL SUMMARY: The Food Bank for Central & Northeast Missouri is a regional disaster and hunger-relief network that brings together community resources to share tens of millions of pounds of food with neighbors each year. Our highly-collaborative team believes that empowerment, education and partnerships are key to getting food into the hands of those who need it most. With the help of 145 partner agencies, more than 185 school partners and thousands of volunteers, our day-to-day efforts help feed nearly 100,000 neighbors each month across our 32-county area. We encourage you to apply to see if improving food security is a mission that speaks to you.
POSITION SUMMARY: The responsibility of the Food Strategy Coordinator is to assist with organizing the day-to-day activity for food & product acquisition on behalf of The Food Bank. Building, cultivating and retaining relationships with agriculture partners and local growers, as well as retailers and manufacturers throughout our service area. This position will report to the Director of Food Sourcing and Safety and will work closely with the operations and programs teams.
- Develop new relationships and acquire new resources (including fresh produce) throughout The Food Bank’s 32 county service area.
- Assist with developing strategies to expand food sourcing into untapped markets including agriculture, local manufacturers, and retail rescue.
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with the food industry including but not limited to; growers, producers, farmers, livestock producers, wholesale food distributors, food service, retailers, food banks, Conservation Department, meat lockers and food brokers.
- Expanding the acquisition of high-quality food including meat, produce, dairy, shelf-stable, and recovery items through grassroots efforts.
- Follow Feeding America guidelines and requirements.
- Maintain and develop relationships with other Feeding America food banks.
- Assist with coordinating paperwork, invoices & logistics for all incoming loads.
- Ensure an accurate product acquisition database, department reporting, donor correspondence, and mail lists are maintained for positive results.
- Exceptional communication skills, including verbal and written correspondence
- Ability to be a self-starter, take initiative, and develop creative solutions to navigate food sourcing and supply chain challenges.
- Ability to travel
- Must be able to work both independently and on a team
- Highly proficient in Microsoft and internet based programs and applications.
- Sensitive to the needs of the low-income community
- Ability to work with a variety of people and businesses
- Prior agriculture experience is strongly preferred.
- Prior food banking or food acquisition/sourcing experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Have or ability to attain a valid class E driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to apply for this position.