Yearlong Public Relations Intern (Remote)
U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
We believe in having a broad range of talent and backgrounds at U.S. News. We strive to maintain a welcoming workplace where everyone is given an opportunity to succeed and contribute to their fullest. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive and is currently seeking a college graduate for a year-long remote internship based out of our Washington, D.C. office. The primary duty of this full-time (37.5 hours a week), hourly paid position is to support the public relations department in executing PR efforts across the company. Tasks include but are not limited to monitoring press coverage, building and updating media contact databases, building coverage reports and researching/drafting media pitches, press releases and fact sheets. This is a great opportunity for a motivated graduate looking to jumpstart their public relations and communications career.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with excellent writing and communications skills and the ability to multi-task. This candidate must also be extremely organized and, as a member of a small team, willing to work independently and take on other duties as assigned. This position interacts with senior leadership on a daily basis and is a great opportunity to gain executive communication skills in addition to working with external media.
Are you up to the challenge?
- Daily monitoring of press clippings, industry news, and social media platforms
- Building and updating media contact databases
- Building PR reports
- Researching and drafting press releases, media pitches, fact sheets and awards submissions
You should definitely have:
- Journalism/Public Relations/Communications background required
- Strong research and writing skills
- Knowledge and experience with social media platforms
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Initiative and ability to work independently
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Applicants must provide a resume and cover letter.
It would be nice if you had:
- Prior public relations experience working for a media company
- Event experience drafting media advisories and talking points for speakers
- Experience supporting crisis management
What it’s like to work with us:
Talent is our best asset!
We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Information
- This is a 1 year internship that pays $16.10 an hour
- Please submit a resume and cover letter for consideration
- This position will require the successful candidate to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, the Company will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.