University New Grad - Actuarial Analyst
Why Intern at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
This position can be located in either Chicago, IL or Richardson, TX.
Job Purpose: What Are Your Responsibilities?
This position is responsible for participating in implementation, maintenance and basic analysis of models, studies and systems which use actuarial principles for the purposes of pricing, underwriting, statistics, reserving, forecasting and other actuarial functions; running, building and analyzing results of basic models; developing oral and written presentation skills; and learning basic business and actuarial concepts.
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
- Actuarial Internship or Actuarial Experience in the health insurance or related field
- Verbal and written communications skills to prepare effective documentation, facilitate training and development, and participate in presentations.
- PC proficiency to include Word and Excel.
- Access, SQL, Visual Basic or other programming skills preferred.
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
- Bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics or Economics. Other Bachelor (or higher) degrees may be considered
- Graduation date between December 2022 – June 2023
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
- Completion of 1 ASA (Associate of the Society of Actuaries) exam equivalent based on specifications in the Society of Actuaries Education and Examination System.
What Does the New Grad Program Entail?
- Formal New Employee Orientation to build business and industry acumen
- Challenging real-world hands-on project
- Quarterly networking opportunities & professional development workshops among peers and company leaders
We encourage people of all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Even if you don’t think you are a perfect fit, apply anyway - you might have qualifications we haven’t even thought of yet.