Assistant Library Manager
Buder Assistant Manager
St. Louis Public Library
If you’re passionate about the importance of public libraries, the St. Louis Public Library may be
the right place for you! SLPL invests in our employees and makes a committed effort to mentor
and grow staff to move forward within the system and build meaningful careers in public service.
Buder Library is seeking an Assistant Manager. We welcome professionals who are talented,
creative, and enthusiastic about libraries and the value libraries bring to their community. If you
already have working experience in a public library but want to make it a career, this is the
opportunity you’ve been waiting for! At Buder, a busy branch with dedicated customers, you
will gain experience and be able to share your ideas and create change. We are looking for
MLIS degree holders or those who have just begun the laborious process of becoming one of the
few and the brave.
This position will play a critical role in shaping the future of the Buder Library, so a candidate
who is innovative and has the ability to see the larger picture will help us continue our primary
mission of being a forward-thinking and customer-centered institution providing vital services to
the people of St. Louis. You’ll be joining and helping to supervise a team of talented and curious
staff who are dedicated to making customer’s visits to the library enjoyable, informative and
sometimes life changing. The role will require high-level decision-making in regards to customer
service, staffing, quality programming, and effective outreach.
In this role you will:
● Work closely with the Regional Manager and Regional Youth Services Supervisor in the
daily operations of the branch to include circulation, reader’s advisory and reference as
well as technology assistance, programming, and outreach.
● Supervise staff, including their hiring, training, scheduling, assigning, and evaluation.
● Serve as a positive role model, embracing change, in order to motivate and coach staff to
grow and further their skills.
● Work with librarians and managers systemwide to develop and execute strong public
● Conduct outreach in the community to establish and maintain relevant partnerships
through attendance at monthly neighborhood meetings, organization and community
● Resolve customer complaints effectively and with a customer-first mentality.
● Work with the Adult Specialist to support the needs of the community through creative
and innovative Library programs.
● Establish and maintain working relations with organizations to promote library services,
meaningful resources and learning opportunities that can help them in serving their
● Assist in the development of system policies and strategic plans.
You will need to be:
● Friendly, outgoing, and able to build relationships at all levels.
● Strategic about engaging staff to meet and exceed library goals.
● Able to see the big picture and promote system-wide consistency and excellence of
● Capable of effectively presenting information and responding to questions from groups of
managers, clients, customers, and the public.
● Flexible, positive, and willing to work with customers and staff to successfully resolve
● Organized, detail-oriented, and able to work with competing tasks and priorities.
● Able to become familiar with Google Meet and capable of running online programs.
● Able to learn the Library’s circulation program and catalog to assist customers with their
● Able to speak publicly in order to execute unique and exciting programs and represent the
Library to community groups.
● Enthusiastic about the mission of public libraries and making a difference in our
● Committed to serving St. Louis Public Library’s diverse customer base and developing
your own cultural awareness
● Curious and enjoy talking to and helping a wide variety of people.
You will need to have:
● Bachelor’s degree and MLS from an ALA-accredited program; candidates with an MLS
in progress will be considered.
● At least 3 years of experience in a customer service position.
● Strong communication, writing, and speaking skills.
● Strong organizational and time management skills
You will earn:
● Competitive salary range starting at $51,765
● Medical, dental, and life insurance
● Paid vacation, holidays, and sick days
● Pension plan through the Employees Retirement System of the City of St. Louis
● Professional Development Opportunities
Hours for this position are:
The position’s schedule is 40 hours/week and will have some evenings and weekend shifts.
Candidates will also be expected to work one Sunday/month. Hours are subject to change.
St. Louis Public Library is a true urban library, representing the historic center of the St. Louis
region: the City of St. Louis. With its roots in the mid-1800s, St. Louis Public Library has a long
history of innovation and service, a large and historic collection including rare books and
extensive special collections, and a diverse and dedicated staff. Our technology is a major
resource throughout the City and beyond, and the Library makes an enormous investment in
technology annually to keep them state of the art. We operate 16 locations in a relatively small
city of 61 square miles. These range from the magnificent Central Library – one of the world’s
great public libraries – to regional and neighborhood libraries that vary in size and design but are
centerpieces in their communities. St. Louis was an early, passionate supporter of library
services to children, and that remains a core value and mission. Outreach into our varied
communities, marketing the Library’s remarkable strengths, and working with civic and cultural
partners to benefit St. Louisans are all closely held values and goals at the Library.
About Buder Library:
● Originally built in 1922, Buder Library has moved twice since its original location and
has been in the former Missouri Sewer District building near Hampton and Chippewa
● 40,000 square feet
● Offers public services on four levels
● Collection size is 80,000 (includes children’s and adult materials)
● 1 computer lab (holds 16 computers and one copier)
● 3 meeting rooms (one auditorium, one smaller conference room, and a multipurpose
About the neighborhood:
Buder is part of the St. Louis Hills neighborhood, a dynamic and busy neighborhood situated in
the southwest area of St. Louis. In 2018, Buder celebrated its 20-year anniversary in its current
location, which is surrounded by a thriving retail scene as well as numerous restaurants. The
neighborhood is family-oriented and includes a strong Bosnian community and an increasingly