Metropolitan Family Services empowers families to learn, to earn, to heal, to thrive. Part mentor, part motivator, part advocate, since 1857, Metropolitan Family Services (MFS) has been the engine of change that empowers families to reach their greatest potential and positively impact their communities. Metropolitan is Illinois’ first comprehensive human services agency and reaches more than 117,000 individuals and families in Chicago, Evanston/Skokie, the southwest suburbs and DuPage County with services promoting education, economic stability, emotional wellness and empowerment.
We are now hiring for a full-time Communications Manager to join our Headquarters (HQ) Team!
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains/oversees all of agency’s social media platforms (oversees FSS of MFSD website which is maintained by the Media Relations & Marketing Specialist)
- Manages and nurtures the agency’s digital communities, inclusive of responding to and promoting messages, moderating comments, promoting the brand, and growing its reach and engagement
- Supports the production of fully integrated organic and paid social media plans, online/offline agency-wide campaigns, programs and business strategies that foster the development of Metropolitan’s brand awareness and online reputation
- Implement and maintain a social media calendar to manage content and plan specific, timely campaigns. Administrate the creation and regularly scheduled publishing of relevant, original, high-quality organizational content
- Compiles, analyzes and distributes metrics and data to track performance against goals (engagement, traffic, interactions, growth, etc.); identifies and analyzes trends to improve performance, including use of Google Analytics and Google Ad Words
- Creates digital marketing campaigns/ads for use in social media and communications
- Develops multi-channel fundraising campaigns with Communications and Development teams, including related supplemental messaging and tools
- Monitors data trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design and strategy
- Identifies threats and opportunities in online community moderation surrounding Metropolitan and report notable threats. Works closely with Senior Director of Marketing and Communications/agency leadership to help manage online crisis scenarios
- Conducts instructional workshops about social media use as needed
Website & eCommunications-
- Partners with Senior Director of Marketing and Communications and Communications Team to develop website/ecommunications strategic planning and recommends improvements and tactics to promote the agency’s brand
- Creates/edits content for the agency’s websites and communications
- Uses agency’s content management system [CMS] to add/edit/optimize/cross-promote content, including developing events promotions and registrations, maintaining the email database and contact management/segmentation, supporting fundraising campaigns, and coordinating email database interaction with donations database
- Uses analytics to make site improvements, support growth initiatives and measure effectiveness of web-based activities
- Analyzes website trends and make recommendations for improvements to functionality and the “look and feel” of Metropolitan’s websites
- Manages various website traffic reporting systems (e.g., Google Analytics) to monitor overall trends and proactively provide recommendations on ways the agency can leverage its online visibility, improve traffic and readability
- Works with Senior Graphic Designer, Web Host and other third-party vendors to resolve technical or performance issues and ensures they are identified and resolved
- Manage the agency’s photo archive
- Assist the Senior Graphic Designer with developing graphic designs for online and print communications (website, ecommunications, print materials/signage, etc.)
- Shoot and edit photography/short video footage (people, events, etc.) for online and print communications needs
- Build relationships with staff across programs and disciplines to conduct interviews and develop written communications pieces (impact stories, reports, summaries, social posts, descriptors, fact sheets, etc.)
- Provide communications support for program and Center initiatives, including insights/recommendations and developing/executing online content
- Provide communications support for events, new programs/collaborations/initiatives
- Steward the Metropolitan Family Services brand, including ensuring consistency of voice and supporting staff in carrying out guidelines
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in digital communications, communications, journalism or related field required.
- 5-7 years+ experience in digital communications (social media, ecommunications, website management) required.
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong writing/journalistic and media relations skills; experience in securing media placements
- Strong knowledge of Content Management Systems (i.e., WordPress) and email services required (Metropolitan uses Blackbaud/Luminate Online)
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, including but not limited to InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Solid knowledge of HTML, ecommunications platforms, social media dashboards, Google Analytics and online evaluation tools
- Basic knowledge of online advertising and SEO/SEM strategies desired
- Basic video production experience preferred
- Excellent and proven written and verbal communications skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to execute multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Must have access to own transportation for off-site projects/events
- Ability to work special events as well as handle unexpected deadlines and emergency communications required
- Must be able to periodically work evenings/weekends
- While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee is required to sit and stand for sustained periods of time, frequently talk, hear, use hands and fingers to feel, handle and operate objects or controls, and occasionally stand, bend, stretch, stoop, kneel and crouch.
- The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing and viewing a computer terminal.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- MFS staff are required to provide proof of vaccination or have an approved Medical exemption prior to starting employment. If an approved Medical exemption is obtained, weekly testing is required.
- Compensation is commensurate with years of related experience, position requirements, and candidate qualifications. The average salary for the position is $60,000.
Metropolitan Family Services offers a very generous benefits packet to our professionals:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Coverage: HMO, Traditional PPO, or PPO w/ HSA contributions.
- Dental and Vision Insurance Options
- 12 paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401K Plan
- Training and Professional Development Plan with E- Learning
- Wellness Initiative Program
- Employee Assistance Network
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)