Summer '23 Undergraduate Internship Position
Summer 2023 Undergraduate Internship
Gain experience and build your career skills through an internship at one of four Missouri Agricultural Experiment Station Research, Extension and Education Centers (REEC).
The Missouri Agricultural Experiment Station (MOAES) extends CAFNR research across the state to meet regional research and demonstration needs of agricultural producers and natural resource managers. MOAES has a storied history of major impacts in advancing science in agriculture, food, and natural resources — locally, nationally, and globally. These CAFNR laboratories provide research faculty with a wide variety of real-world conditions to test and develop strategies for agricultural production, based on the geographical and climatic differences of our diverse state. The network of research properties and farms are divided into four Research, Extension and Education Centers. The following centers will host interns during the summer.
Central Missouri REEC – composed of 14 properties with diverse interests including natural areas (Baskett Forest, Sorenson Estate, and Land of the Osages Research Farm), row crops (Bradford Research Farm), dairy herd (Foremost Dairy Farm), beef cattle and swine (South Farm), specialty crops (Horticulture & Agroforestry Research Farm), and historic sites (Sanborn Field and the Duley-Miller Erosion Plots). The CM-REEC is unique in the support it offers to research, Extension and public engagement.
Northern Missouri REEC – composed of three properties (Lee Greenley Jr. Memorial Research Farm, Cornett Research Farm, and Thompson Research Farm), each focused on research and educational needs of the local community, as well as the state.
Southwest REEC, Mt. Vernon – serves 22 counties addressing the main agricultural concerns of area industries including beef, forage, and horticultural crop production. Serves as a Center for University programs, educational programs, Ag Ed/FFA Career Exploration Days, 4-H programs, and producer field days.
T.E. “Jake” Fisher Delta REEC, Portageville – located in the Missouri Bootheel providing research and educational programs unique to the Southeast Delta Region of the state. Serves as a Center for University programs, educational meetings, workshops, short courses, 4-H programs, Ag Ed/FFA Career Exploration Days, and producer field days.
Interns report directly to and work under the supervision of the respective REEC Director. Each internship will be designed to meet the needs of the respective Center and may include, but not limited to, the following:
Collaborate with Center staff to coordinate and deliver hands-on, educational programs.
Develop education programs and teach individuals and groups within the community.
Assist with research on Center properties and farms.
Assist with public relations and engagement with the local community.
Assist with meeting and activity preparation by securing materials, contacting participants, and engaging stakeholders.
- Must be a sophomore, junior, or senior enrolled at the University of Missouri, pursing a degree in the College of Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources during the 2023-24 academic year.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the time of application.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills and demonstrate the ability to work effectively and build relationships.
- Must have good organization and planning skills, and demonstrate effective project coordination, facilitation, and implementation based on past work or academic experience.
- Must be able to analyze and synthesize information for problem solving and decision-making.
- Must have a personal commitment to working with diverse clientele and colleagues.
Interns will be compensated $16.00 per hour and work 40 hours per week for 10 weeks beginning the end of May and ending the first of August. Each REEC will determine the exact dates of the internship.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit the following:
- Letter outlining background, interest in the position, and the Center(s) for which you would like to be considered.
- Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Submit by sending an email with documents attached to: ??????
Contact the respective REEC Director:
- Central MO – Dr. Dusty Walter, email@example.com
- Northern MO – Jeff Case, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southwest – Jay Chism, email@example.com
- Fisher Delta – Aaron Brandt, firstname.lastname@example.org