Laboratory Internship – Pet Nutrition (St. Joseph, MO)
Are you a college student majoring in Science with a focus in Agriculture or Pet Food? Do you have an interest in Animal Feed or Animal Nutrition? Do you possess excellent leadership, multi-tasking, and communication skills? Are you ready to build your resume with real-world hands-on experience? If you said yes to these questions, we’d like to hear from you!
For a century, Wilbur-Ellis has experienced success and growth in marketing and distributing agricultural products and services. Join us and grow your career with a strong and profitable industry leader offering competitive compensation, tremendous growth and development opportunities, and a people-first work environment. Come grow with us!
General Purpose and Scope of Position:
Wilbur-Ellis Nutrition is seeking a Summer Laboratory Intern. Duties will include testing, data entry, supporting the Laboratory and projects and additional quality and research and development job duties.
Key Skills and Abilities Include:
- Basic computer skills, Microsoft Word, and Excel knowledge
- College student majoring in science, Biology or Chemistry fields preferred
- Scientific understanding of basic concepts required
- Functional lab experience helpful, but not required
- NIR, HPLC, Oxidative Stability Instrument (OSI), Peroxide Values, Oxygen Bomb, CDR Foodlabs testing experience helpful, but not required
- Ability to repetitively bend, kneel, stand, and sit for long periods of time
- Clerical and time management
- Excellent attendance
Key Personal Attributes:
- Excellent written and verbal, organizational, and presentation communication skills
- Strong time management skills with the ability to set priorities
- Skill in creative and critical thinking to achieve goals
- Ability to remain detail-oriented with a wide range of responsibilities
- Desire to learn about new things and openness to always improve
- Self-starter that is punctual with a strong work ethic
- Strong ability to be flexible and multi-task
- Ability to build relationships with cross-functional team members
Specific Responsibilities and Key Deliverables Include:
- Assist with ongoing team projects
- Support the team with sample product testing including: weighing/preparing samples, reagent/media preparation, Oxidative Stability Instrument (OSI), Peroxide Values, Oxygen Bomb, SAF test, CDR Foodlabs, Loss on drying/moisture, mycotoxin testing, water activity, viscosity, density, sieve analysis, etc.
- Assist with Environmental Monitoring Program
- Assist with data interpretation
- Documentation of testing in laboratory notebooks
- Organize/maintain sample retains and retain room
- Laboratory housekeeping and dishwashing
- Clerical work and scanning for the ERP system, as needed
- Comply with Food Safety Guidelines, Work Rules, SOPs, FDA and OSHA guidelines as well as Federal and State laws governing the workplace.
- Documentation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and training creation on SOP’s
- Maintenance/editing/creation of Specification Sheets
- Assistance with method development for laboratory testing
- Submit a final project and 15-minute PowerPoint presentation of the internship to the leadership
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience and other factors
Wilbur-Ellis Nutrition, LLC is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington, and is a marketer and distributor of value-added feed ingredients in North America and Asia-Pacific. Wilbur Ellis provides feed solutions to our customers and suppliers in the Livestock, Pet Food, and Aquaculture Industries. Providing a complete supply chain, including logistics, warehousing, and customer service, in addition to expertise in import/export and regulatory, sets Wilbur-Ellis apart from our competitors. We understand the importance of providing on-time delivery of specified products and honoring our commitments to suppliers and customers.
Wilbur-Ellis is a company you can be proud to call your employer
Wilbur-Ellis markets and distributes agricultural products, animal feed, specialty chemicals, and food ingredients. A privately held and consistently profitable company, we employ more than 4,000 people throughout North America and Asia-Pacific.
Wilbur-Ellis is for and about people
Wilbur-Ellis has enjoyed over 100 years of success and growth, all thanks to our people. Our employees are both leaders and team players who thrive on creativity, entrepreneurial spirit, and a dedication to quality work, our customers, and each other.
Wilbur-Ellis invests in the industry’s best workforce
Wilbur-Ellis invests heavily in our employees by offering skill development and training, competitive compensation and benefits, and a tradition of promoting from within for a broad range of career opportunities. And we foster a supportive, people-first work environment.