Legal & Compliance Intern
Who Are We?
Alexander Forrest Investments, (AFI) is a mid-sized, multifamily real-estate management company located in Columbia, MO. Here at AFI, we are experts in the acquisition, development, financing and management of real estate projects with over 80 multi-family properties in 20 states. Growth opportunities within the company are in abundance as we plan to DOUBLE in size over the next year.
Our VISION is to prosper all stakeholders.
Our MISSION is to exceed client expectations by providing unrivaled deal sourcing, underwriting, and asset management services for multifamily properties throughout the United States.
Our CORE VALUES are Excellence, Accountability, Collaboration, Efficiency, Innovation, Integrity, and Perseverance.
AFI is seeking a high-production and intelligent individual to join our team as a Legal & Compliance Intern. This role will be responsible for working directly with General Counsel regarding the investigation and resolution of open Compliance, Litigation, and Insurance matters. Individuals currently engaged in Legal Studies or pursing a Law degree are highly preferred. Upon acceptance of this position, chosen applicants of Sophomore standing will receive a cash prize of $2,000 and will be expected to assume his/her new role ASAP. This individual will be required to remain in good academic standing during the remainder of their college career, not seek employment outside of AFI, and work between 15-30 hours per week. Upon graduation, chosen applicant will receive an additional cash price $20,000. Similar signing and graduation bonus opportunities are available for students of Junior standing in the amount of $1,000 and $10,000 respectively.
Hourly compensation will be in the range of $12-$15/hour based on experience and strength of attached references.
The responsibilities that are listed below are not all inclusive; however, they are indicative of the type of responsibilities normally performed by a member of the Legal/Operations Team:
- Collaborate with AFI General Counsel regarding document preparation, research, scheduling, response, etc. associated with any open/pending cases.
- Collaborate with AFI General Counsel regarding identification and adherence to best practice risk mitigation strategies
- Complete legal research pertaining to active defense or investigation.
- Develop Exception Log for holistic record-keeping.
- Communicate with Property Owners regarding open issues and next steps for active cases on any managed-assets
- Must have 1-2 years’ applicable work experience or currently pursuing a college degree in applicable field of study
- Minimum 3.50 cumulative GPA
- Pre-Law/Law emphasis highly preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and precise thinker
- List of 2-3 professional references
Alexander Forrest Investments, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.