Fashion Marketing Internship - Fall 2023
Are you a social media savvy Gen Zer interested in all things fashion, pop-culture, and trends? Are you interested in having your ideas and opinions translated into clothing designs that may be sold at retailers across the country? If yes, then Avalon Apparel is looking for your help on their national “Fashion Board”.
Avalon Apparel is a full-service women’s apparel design house based in Los Angeles that designs and produces private label garments sold at some of America’s largest retailers. You might even own a garment from the likes of Nordstrom, Macy’s, or Target that started as an Avalon design!
Avalon developed the concept of the “Fashion Board” as a way to engage with prospective apparel consumers, ensuring that the designs Avalon offers to their retail partners are exactly what their customers want. Starting as a small idea tapping into the networks of current employees, Avalon has expanded the program nationally and is always looking to expand even further across all customer demographics. And that’s where you come in!
Avalon is looking for qualified applicants at universities across the country to serve as “Fashion Board” interns to help us design exactly what the consumer is shopping for.
Responsibilities + details:
- Participate in occasional Zooms with Avalon and the Board, giving your input on incoming apparel trends (are skinny jeans ever coming back?), specific garment design details (should this dress have three or four tiers of ruffles?), print and pattern direction (would you wear cow print?), etc.
- Be an active member on our Instagram where we post daily polls of outfits like “this or that”, “love or hate”, etc. looking for immediate feedback
- Send us your favorite outfits and trends you found on social media monthly
- Actively respond in our GroupMe chat when we ask opinions on trends and designs
- Complete design-related GoogleForms every week or so, when we send out
- Be interested in fashion and apparel
- Have knowledge about current trends, pop culture, influencers, etc.
- Be active on social media (Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, etc.) and use it for fashion inspo
Estimated time commitment is roughly 5-10 hours per month (all online). The internship is unpaid and not for college credit. There are a lot of fun perks including monthly raffles, surprise gifting, and the opportunity to network across the functions of design, merchandising/sales, and production to teach you more about careers within the retail merchandising ecosystem.
The internship is open to any prospective major, although may be of specific interest to those pursuing degrees in Business, Marketing, Retail, Fashion Merchandising, or Fashion Design.
In addition to submitting your resume, we ask that you complete a quick project showcasing your understanding of Gen Z fashion so we can get a sense of your style and vibe! The project can be a collage, Pinterest board, PowerPoint presentation, however you’d like to express your knowledge. The project should be in PDF or PowerPoint form and be uploaded electronically with your resume.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We ask that you commit to a minimum of 3 months of participation, with the option to continue for longer, which is highly encouraged.
Applicants of interest will be asked to complete a screening interview via Wedge .
Check with your school's Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.