Intern- Immersion Inclusion Internship - Summer 2024
At VU, we help Veterans buy homes. We also work to introduce historically underrepresented students to the mortgage industry through our Immersion Inclusion summer internship program.
We’re seeking students committed to inclusion, who meet one or more of the following:
- Are members of a community experiencing education or career barriers,
- Are first generation college students,
- Are military Veterans,
- Are motivated by their heritage or culture to assume a leadership role or attain a particular goal through their unique ability and perspective, or
- Have demonstrated courage and determination in overcoming racial exclusion
Our Immersion Inclusion Internship is a rigorous and fast-paced program for results or process-minded individuals. Various tracks are available in multiple departments. Interns will also participate in mentorships and group projects, which in the past have included nonprofit/community support and business pitches.
This paid internship provides housing in Columbia, Missouri. Columbia has been named one of the best cities in the nation to live and ranked as one of the top 25 places for young professionals. The city has a strong sport and outdoor community, including an abundance of trails and parks.
During the summer, you’ll learn and be a part of Veterans United’s values and unique company culture! VU has been recognized as #2 on People’s 100 Companies that Care, #8 on Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work in 2022 and #14 on Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For.
As an Immersion intern, you have the potential to be placed in one of these areas:
The Immersion Diversity program provides you with an opportunity to make a difference. You’ll also experience some of the perks of a full-time employee, such as personal and professional development, casual dress code, and company-wide social events. Immersion interns enjoy special development sessions including an etiquette dinner, golf, and numerous opportunities to impact the community through volunteer efforts.
As an Immersion Intern, you will be working hands-on to gain experience applicable to your career goals. You will be expected to take direction and incorporate feedback from mentors and proactively identify opportunities to support the team. You will be immersed in the mortgage industry, the local community and the Veterans United culture and values through a variety of events and volunteer efforts.
Job duties will vary upon assignment but may include:
- Provide general administration assistance and support.
- Learn and master the internal operations of your assigned department as it pertains to the mortgage industry.
- Attend and participate in leadership, professional development, and team building events.
- Prepare and present proposals to leadership.
- Continuously seek to identify areas of opportunity for process improvements.
- Actively contribute to making the team and culture stronger by assisting with other duties as needed, excluding licensed activity.
We’ll also want to know you can demonstrate these attributes:
- Works well under pressure.
- Analytical decision making skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (written and verbal).
- Adaptable to change and shifts in priority.
- Exemplary customer service skills.
- Excel in fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Thrive in a highly cooperative work setting.
- Must be a student completing their junior or senior year of college.
Note: The Immersion program is only offered during the summer months and you must be available for the program in its entirety