Vet Lab Intern
Aviagen Veterinary Services in Elkmont, AL is looking for a summer Intern to assist in the day-to-day functions of the Vet Lab. This is an exciting opportunity to gain experience in a fast-paced NPIP authorized and ISO accredited laboratory environment.
During the period of the internship you will follow a logical progression through various aspects of the laboratory operation including sample receiving, media preparation, serology testing, bacteriological methods for Salmonella detection and other bacterial identification, PCR testing, and quality control steps involved along the different processes. You will learn many aspects of the testing protocols in a primary breeder veterinary laboratory and will be able to work closely with the lab team learning their daily responsibilities and interactions.
Objectives of the Program:
This program will enable you to develop an understanding of the various components of the laboratory in a primary breeder business. You will develop skills, techniques, and knowledge in multiple areas within the laboratory.
This hands-on training will provide you with a base of practical skills and knowledge that will be valuable throughout your career.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set up and process samples for microbiological analysis in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of supplies to prevent work delays.
- Follow procedures outlined in the laboratory work instructions.
- Prepare media and solutions used in the Bacteriology Department.
- Perform quality control tests as required.
- Ensure traceability of samples tested.
- Perform accurate documentation of laboratory results.
- Follow company policies and meet established procedures regarding bio-security, animal welfare, safety, ISO policies.
- Attendance is expected and required during normal working hours or during the assigned working schedule determined by the supervisor.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume to Brandon Gartman email@example.com